Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dorothy Orpington, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Dorothy Orpington

Dorothy Orpington New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    I'm concerned about Marek's and am grateful for the info provided on this site. Three of my hens, all of whom are about a year old, died in the past year, one exhibiting the gray eye symptoms, the other two exhibiting leg paralysis. The remaining flock, 13 hens and a rooster, are energetic and happy, but several of the hens look awful. Their feathers are patchy, several areas look red and sore, and one has intermittent bleeding at the tailfeathers.

The flock is laying regularly and I am very reluctant to cull the unattractive birds when they seem to have a quality life other than their appearance. I have just purchased 25 chicks who are separate from the older birds. They have been vaccinated for Marek's. I am terrified that some of them will contract Marek's anyway and I am worried about the flock spreading the disease via wind and dust to any potential coops in our rural neighborhood.

How can the flock be energetic and otherwise healthy yet exhibit signs of Marek's? Has anyone else experienced this? The chickens have a healthy diet, lots of space, clean coop, fresh water - I just don't know the best course of action to take.

2. SilkiesAndSuch

SilkiesAndSuch Silkie Daddy

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    Hi, [​IMG] I would post your question under the emergencies/disease/injuries and cures section for more answers [​IMG] I have no idea about your question lol

3. Dorothy Orpington

Dorothy Orpington New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. As a newbie and a low-techie, I have a lot to learn.

4. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No worries! We all start somewhere! Welcome to the BYC forum! I hope you find all the info you need, and answers to your questions!

5. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Wishing you and your flock the best. When I started on this forum, I did the same thing and posted my problem on the Introduction site. Never feel alone! Hope you get the help you need! [​IMG]

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG]. Good luck with your flocks' health issue.

7. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] from Maine [​IMG]

8. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    [​IMG]

9. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps