Hello ^^

EvyCrystal

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
South Texas
Hello, I'm just another bird lover who wants to try out forums, I never really join any so I guess this one my first. I hope I enjoy my time here and to get some hints and tips from other bird owners here :3 I had chickens for a while now, I always been living out in the country so animals are not new to me! LOL! I want to say I started raising chickens when I first went in to college and I use to be in 4-H showing mostly lambs, 3 steers, and 1 horse. (One year I had a lamb, steer, and a horse to show haha) So I always been taking care of animals, once I was done with Highschool I think around in the summer before I started College, my uncle gave me some chickens. These were the Mexican chickens, (ones use for cock fights) No he didn't use them for cock fighting come on people D: !!!

There were like 3 roosters and some hens. I really enjoy them and around that time I didn't know much about chicken breeds. Oh yeah this was around summer 2009? I know it was 2009. These guys can be a bit mean to one another |D The roosters drove me psycho, these guys will fight to the death x_x;; I think its funny that my uncle gave me these cause he end up getting other chickens that were not the psycho FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!! kind >.> like Rhode Island Reds or the Plymouth Rock. LOL But thanks to my uncle I really really love chickens, and having the hens hatching out chicks and what not and getting eggs, but the funny thing is, I really don't like eating eggs . . . don't judge D: !! LOL!!
So I just give the eggs away, my dad takes some to coworkers and I give them out to other family members or who ever wants egg to chow down on.

Than same uncle with the chicken he got I end up getting them, he was having like owls or hawk picking up chickens and you name it (also my aunt had a part of wanting the chickens to leave lol). So I end up getting like 8 more hens of different breeds. Now I had these guy safe and sound in this close coops and it very roomy, dad and I set it up and they love it. Now having more hens I had some chicks around this time so I end up selling the chicks and some of the Mex hens I had, as for the Mex roosters.
That its own story itself. I had a few of them and they kind of kick each other butts and I had to kick some out of the coop so I just had one in there that I wanted. There was one bad bad fight between 3 of them, one of them was badly hurt and I took him in to heal, I name him Joseph after that main guy in that movie "Far and Away". Sadly the other Mex fighting Roosters die cause of getting kill by something like the dogs, (the dogs are so bad and will kill my poor babies D: ) But Joseph got better but sadly cause of that fight he is now blind and to this day he is still alive and healthy, I wish he can see D: kind of sucks to have a blind rooster, but he is living in one of those huge dog carriers with his food and water in there. I mean he can't have to big a area, the poor guy is blind and can't see nothing. He know his little area and know my voice and he still crows. He very pretty too.

Thats, that story, so from selling some chicks and chickens off and getting some more and losing a awesome rooster to the dogs, his name was sexy legs. He was so awesome I was so so angry when I saw my mom's dog eating him. GAH!!! -_-; !!! But this is what I have right now.

1 Maran rooster <- he is such a gentleman
1 Mex rooster (who is blind and I keep him in his own cage) <- Joseph
2 Maran hens <- Henny and Penny
3 Rhode Island Red hens
1 Barred Plymouth Rock hen
2 black beauty hen (Rhode Island Red mix w/h Barred Rock)
1 Gold hen (I think she a Buff Orpington)
1 White hen (some mix breed I know it has ameraucana in it) <- I think she hates me? She just give me that look . . . I'm just saying
4 Mex hens <- one name Mother Hen, she rocks. there another name Spindle
1 Black Silkie hen (Silkie are my all time fave chickens!!) <- Her name is Silkie Mama
3 Ducks ( one a Mallard, one a buff, and one like a silver color)
1 young turkey
1 Naked Neck hen
1 ameraucana hen
1 Peachick

Than I got some chicks going to hatch soon. I just notice I went psycho again about chickens . . . I'll stop here and go off about my chickens story some other time I guess >.>; But I'm pretty sure I have to tell some things about myself here . . . opps LMAO! Ok I'm a poor college student who is majoring in Art and love raising chickens. The End :3

Hello, from Arkansas and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas! Wow - you've got quite the stable full o'chickens!
yippiechickie.gif
Must keep you busy. Good luck with your hatchlings to be, your current flock, and your college classes.
celebrate.gif
And remember, chickens relieve stress!!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom