Hello

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lammie, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Lammie

Lammie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    I am new to this forum but have had my own flock of chickens since 2000. I started raising chickens because I decided I wanted to be able to have my own eggs without having to drive to the grocery store and as a project for my two sons. As you can guess, it quickly became my project.

I now have about thirty hens, Black Austrolorpes, Barred Rocks, a couple of Silkies from my original flock, and several game chickens. I also have about 75 free range chickens that live in the trees at the fenceline. I also raise miniature donkeys and the occasional calf for beef.

I sell eggs when I can but have never had the guts to kill my own chickens, even though I have considered it.

I have been told by a couple of people that this is a good forum. I hope I can learn a lot, and maybe shed some light for others.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Welcome to BYC, Lammie. Glad to have you. [​IMG]

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

[​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

welcome, you will only fit in if your a tad bit nuts or can laugh out loud reading some of these forums. You will enjoy these folks, everyone seems to be a bunch of real good eggs...! [​IMG]

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Just make yourself at home here and most of all...have fun!

Dawn

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    WOW so you have 8 years experience! It's always nice to have someone who has been raising chickens that long around here. SO do you keep the chickens around even after they are no longer laying eggs? Or do you refresh your flock?

8. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    [​IMG]

9. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]:
    woot:ya

10. Lammie

Lammie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Quote:Interesting you should ask. I had three of the original flock when I married. One Red Production Hen and two Arucana, (I know I misspelled that), the kind that lays green eggs. I still have Mama, my Red hen, although she no longer lays regularly. She's kinda like a dog in that she likes to be picked up and scratched. When I get new chicks, I pen them up with her as she is a natural mother.

The others were killed by predators. I had to keep them out of the pens because they became egg eaters. Mama is not and she's in with the barred rocks.

I would refresh, but I don't want to kill my others and I don't know anyone who wants a used chicken!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by