Hello!

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
Hello! I have been wanting chickens forever and we recently moved to a place where I can finally keep them!!!! So, in a couple weeks I will be getting my first bantams.
For now my father in law has made me a triangle chicken pen that I will be keeping 4 or 5 hens in, I've picked out a couple of this year's cochins and japanese. I'd like to raise them for eggs and simply because I enjoy them.
I am so excited to learn from all the collective knowledge here! For having wanted chickens for so long I suddenly don't know where to start! I don't have alot of experience with them, besides having taken care of a friend's flock when she was away. I know that we will be wrapping the coop with clear plastic for the winter, and I need to figure out some kind of heated waterer (I've gotten some good ideas here already). I'll be saving the table scraps as well as getting a basic chicken feed (can use advice here). For now they'll stay in the pen but I'd like to let them free range sometimes, just not sure if it's going to be safe where we are. We have 2 acres that are bordered on 3 sides by busy roads and on one side is a swamp. I don't want them wandering onto the road. But I have plans to eventually convert a large rabbit hutch into a bigger coop and pen.
Looking forward to meeting you all and leaning more!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
There is a wealth of information here! You've come to the right place. Have a look around here for feeding tips:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We're here to help!

Back
Top Bottom