hello

smokeyjoe

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
smile.png

Last edited:
Hi,

I hatched out an emu chick a week ago. had 3 eggs and unfortunately only one hatched. The breeder I purchased the eggs from said he would buy back any chicks that hatched but now won't contact me, so I'll be looking to re-home this baby in the next 3 weeks.

Meanwhile she/he has been a lot of fun and is growing fast. I'm feeding collard greens, kale, spinach, mustard greens and carrots along with unmedicated chick crumbles. Though she/he doesn't really eat much of the crumbles but loves the greens. My question is can I also give the baby fruit, like raspberries, blackberries or other fruits? Or is she to young for these yet?

She currently LOVES for me to hand feed her but when left alone she does pretty much empty her bowl.

I have been doing lots of handling so she is used to us touching her and particularly likes her back scratched.

One additional question is I currently have a heat lamp on her and what I've read says she should have a heat lamp until about 3 months old. Is this correct. She is currently residing in a large dog crate in the basement with a rug for flooring so she doesn't slip around and I want to take her outside for exercise on warm days but don't want her to get chilled.

Thank you in advance for any info.

Hi,

I hatched out an emu chick a week ago. had 3 eggs and unfortunately only one hatched. The breeder I purchased the eggs from said he would buy back any chicks that hatched but now won't contact me, so I'll be looking to re-home this baby in the next 3 weeks.
Hi Usfarmchicks,
I wonder if we got our eggs from the same guy!
I'm sending you a PM.

it can not go out side the air will make it sick and it can die within days

sorry.. wrong answer

baby emus CAN go outside at even a day old if they are mobile.. just ask any wildlife park or the wild emus.. or people here on the forum who have had their males hatch out chicks.. or even incubated chicks which have gone out on nice days (which is exactly what Usfarmchicks had asked).. they certainly CAN go outside.. and members here have even had theirs outside in the snow..

the thing is to watch them for chilling

but sorry.. fresh air and sunlight plus exercise is GOOD for baby emus!

Certainly you don't want to just toss them outside without any way to warm themselves and forget them... that would be akin to throwing a chick outside without a broody hen
but to spread nonsense like "it can not go out side the air will make it sick and it can die within days " is just bad info

I had to wait about 2 weeks before I could bring mine out because of weather, I live in northern NH, but when Ella got out boy was she happy.she had a tiny rooster chick friend that hatched at the same time as her and the two were crazy together, running, pulling at grass and I gave my Ella a bit of fruit when she was a baby, cut up strawberry was her favorite and still is.Just make sure the weather is warm.

I could ask that question about all of my birds.

My main reason will be to sell eggs (seasonal) some meat from my culls (personal use) and just the pleasure of my overall hobby - incubating and raising birds

Last edited:
Hi,

Meanwhile she/he has been a lot of fun and is growing fast. I'm feeding collard greens, kale, spinach, mustard greens and carrots along with unmedicated chick crumbles. Though she/he doesn't really eat much of the crumbles but loves the greens. My question is can I also give the baby fruit, like raspberries, blackberries or other fruits? Or is she to young for these yet?

She currently LOVES for me to hand feed her but when left alone she does pretty much empty her bowl.

I have been doing lots of handling so she is used to us touching her and particularly likes her back scratched.

One additional question is I currently have a heat lamp on her and what I've read says she should have a heat lamp until about 3 months old. Is this correct. She is currently residing in a large dog crate in the basement with a rug for flooring so she doesn't slip around and I want to take her outside for exercise on warm days but don't want her to get chilled.

Thank you in advance for any info.
Hey usfarmchicks!
Although your chick will get a lot of extra vitamins and minerals from your veggies, especially the collard greens, they should be given as a suppliment to the chick starter and not vice-versa. If it was our emu, we would cut back on the veggies and try to get the chick to consume more of the chick starter which is better balanced for the chick's nutritional needs and then give it some veggies as a "treat". As far as temperatures, we try to keep our chicks around 90 degrees for the first 10 days and then 80-85 til they are 3 weeks old. After 3 weeks , 70-80 degrees... One thing I can't stress enough is to make sure that the chick gets plenty of daily exercise. We put our chicks in a 120' long pen, even in cold weather to run. Of course in cold weather, they don't stay outside too long. Exercise and proper nutrition are the two things that you can control to prevent the development of splayed legs. Unfortunately you have no control over the genetics of the parents or the diet of the mother prior to and during egg production, which is often the source of splayed legs.
If you need to find a home for your emu, our emu farm is not too far from you, down on the Eastern Shore. PM us if you have any questions.
ES

Last edited:
no the emu's can get egg bound and they need surgury to get the egg out or they will get a infection and die I know I have had both happen and I had the vet bills to prove it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom