Hello :)

Indiana feather

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
northeast Indiana
I got tired of just lurking around..he he.. so here I am. I had been kicking around the idea of raising chickens for at least a yr now and since my son talked me into buying 3 Rhode island red chicks from rural king, I knew i had to get to learning. The chicks spent the first night in a pet carrier in his room. Then they went into a more spacious brooding area, and today they got an even roomier spot inside the shed
smile.png
. I look forward to meeting and learning from all the good peeps here.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. Raising chickens is a great experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves her chickens. Rhode Island Reds are a hardy, dependable breed that will give you lots of nice, large brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your RIRs.

Thank you Michael O'shay, I did post a question in the feeding and watering section about using ground up corn cobs for bedding.
idunno.gif
It seemed reasonable choice to me... hope it is ok. Your granddaughter is adorable btw

Thank you Michael O'shay, I did post a question in the feeding and watering section about using ground up corn cobs for bedding.
idunno.gif
It seemed reasonable choice to me... hope it is ok. Your granddaughter is adorable btw
You're welcome, and thanks for the complement on my granddaughter. I think so, but I'm sure I'm prejudice. :eek:) As far as the corn cobs for bedding goes, I've never used them, but I heard pros and cons on it. Mostly about it being okay as long as the cobs stay dry. You might want to take a look at some of the Corn Cob bedding threads where this issue is discussed at https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=corn+cob+bedding.

In the Michiana area. Currently transitioning my flock to Buckeyes and RIRs.This month is going to be hard.
I am a fan of deep litter and love seeing my birds running towards me when I head out to them.

I plan to try my hand at breeding buckeyes next year. These are awesome birds!

You're welcome, and thanks for the complement on my granddaughter. I think so, but I'm sure I'm prejudice. :eek:) As far as the corn cobs for bedding goes, I've never used them, but I heard pros and cons on it. Mostly about it being okay as long as the cobs stay dry. You might want to take a look at some of the Corn Cob bedding threads where this issue is discussed at https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=corn+cob+bedding.
Thanks for that link, i missed that discussion in spite of my lurking.. I will check it out.

In the Michiana area. Currently transitioning my flock to Buckeyes and RIRs.This month is going to be hard.
I am a fan of deep litter and love seeing my birds running towards me when I head out to them.

I plan to try my hand at breeding buckeyes next year. These are awesome birds!
Good luck with your Buckeyes goodb I chose the RIR for its hardiness.. egg laying and disposition... truthfully i got them cause my kiddo gave me those puppy dog look but they are a good breed none the less

Back
Top Bottom