Hello :)

keiferlou

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
NE Oklahoma
Hello fellow chicken fans! I've browsed this site numerous times over the months and finally joined this morning.

My name is Keisha and I live on 20 acres in NE Oklahoma. My kids are the 4th generation of our family to live on this land and 3rd generation to grow up here. My kids are 17, 15 and 10. I never had chickens growing up. We always had horses and cattle. My husband is a good source of info and experience on most things chickens but some of his knowledge is outdated. Our resident couch potatoes are Gus, a Catahoula/Pitbull mix and Lorie Darlin', a Corgi/mix. Gus is very, very good with the chickens but Lorie always wants to herd them somewhere. I don't think she knows where she's herding them, just wants to herd them.

This is our second time having chickens. I can spend hours outside with them, just watching them. They are fascinating. My kids call me Crazy Chicken Lady. If the shoe fits....
yippiechickie.gif

We started this flock with a dozen straight runs from Atwoods that turned out to be 2 Booted Bantam roosters, 2 heavies (still unsure on breed honestly), 3 White Cochin Bantam roosters, 1 Barred Rock Cochin Bantam hen, 2 Barred Rock roosters and 2 Dominique hens. We only have half of the original flock left. 2 which cochin roosters were sold, the others were either predator meals or just never showed back up at night. They reached about 5 months old and we decided since we have lost half the original, we needed more. I ordered my new feathered kids from Murray McMurray. 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, 6 Australorps, 5 New Hampshire Reds and the free chick they always throw in that is looking more and more like a Wyandotte. Of those, I've lost one of each and all in the first week of having them out to free range. The Australorp in my avatar is a good example of how friendly and curious all the little ones are. Her and one New Hampshire Red that I call Reba, are the first ones to me every time I go outside. Sometimes, Reba will try to fly up and sit on my shoulder. I wanted mostly Australorps this time around because the first time we had chickens, my very favorite hen, Girlfriend, was an Australorp and she was a lap chicken if there ever was one. She also consistently laid the best double yolk brown eggs. She was a fantastic hen! She lived out her life with my cousins Autistic son, continuing to be a fantastic hen. If the new girls can be half the hen she was, they'll be doing good.

My husband said not to name the chickens but I don't listen
tongue.png
. So me and the kids set about naming chickens. We have Alien, Gretchen, Henrietta (emphasis on 'hen' in those two names lol), Roody, Moody and Red (all 3 roosters, they don't fight much), Rocky, Opal, Reba and Dr. Penguin. We're still coming up with names for everyone else. Gretchen was a rooster until she laid an egg lol! She was looking like a rooster and acting like one until one day, she wasn't. It was overnight almost and she started acting like a hen and laid an egg. So we had to change her name from Rooster Cogburn to Gretchen. I can talk about my chickens all day lol but I will leave it there for now. Here are some pics of my feathered kids :)
A younger Gretchen

Alien, Henrietta and Gretchen (photobomb by Lorie)

Roody

The little ones :)

The preferred way to eat

Dr. Penguin thinks she's a parrot

Red

Moody

Last but not least, Alien. She's my favorite. Shhh don't tell the others!

welcome-byc.gif

Many of us are crazy chicken ladies as well. Glad you joined us.

Sounds like you have quite a problem with predators. Are you planning to try to control their ranging area to reduce their risks?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You have a LOVELY flock!! Just gorgeous!

Good luck with them and welcome to the community!

welcome-byc.gif

Many of us are crazy chicken ladies as well. Glad you joined us.

Sounds like you have quite a problem with predators. Are you planning to try to control their ranging area to reduce their risks?
They're all really close to the house and someone is always around outside, if not us, then the dogs are outside with them. I really think mostly its a case of they wandered and it got too dark. I know I had to find Alien one time because she got separated and when everyone else went to bed, she just sat her fat little butt down and didn't move or make a sound. She was HARD to find! I found her and had to carry her to the chicken house. I've had to do that twice with the new babies so I wonder if that isn't what happened with some and they were just hidden too well for me to find. We do have hawks on occasion and oddly, the hawks seemed to leave for a while and then there was an abundance of crows. I'd heard crows keep hawks away. Then the crows left and hawks came back. I only know for certain of two predator deaths and both were young white heavies and we saw those happen. Another was killed by someones loose hunting dog that killed it and dropped it at my sons feet like a trophy. One little one died in the chicken house because I'm an idiot and propped a door open just right where she got stuck behind it and somehow got squished. I don't prop the door like that anymore. I don't plan to cut back their range because they don't roam the full 20 acres anyway and they're starting to really integrate with the adults and are being more vigilant themselves. Last week when I lost a little NHR, I kept them all locked up in hopes that if something was eating them, by taking away the snack, they would move on. Kept them up for 3 days and have been safe since. If I ever buy chicks to raise again, I will keep them up longer before letting them free range.

I've also heard that balling up aluminum foil and throwing it all over the area will deter hawks. I may try that. Have you ever heard that?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You have a gorgeous flock! Very nice. Aluminum foil will not deter hawks. Even your presence will not deter them. When they have eyes on a meal, nothing stops them. I have had them dive in while I am standing there. Here is a short article in our learning center on hawks that may be of help to you....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ators-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-hawks

A covered run is your best bet to keep the hawks at bay.

Enjoy your lovely flock and we do welcome you to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. We are all chicken crazy here. X2 on TwoCrows' advice. Thanks for the pics. You have a beautiful flock. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Raising chickens is a great experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom