Hello!

Yes, I had thought of that, but I was a little worried about not being able to sell Leghorns as most people seem to want brown egg layers.
That and my husband would have a bird (pun intended) if I ordered 25 more chicks!!!

You could have a point about white egg layers although nutritionally there is no difference between eggs with different colored shells. I think part of the problem with selling Leghorns is that they are high strung and flighty (mine always screamed bloody murder whenever I handled them) and most people want docile breeds (including myself, which is why I no longer have Leghorns). It's the reason I suggested Austra Whites as opposed to Leghorns. California Greys or California Whites would be a good alternative as well. It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be hatcheries in Canada that sells these birds.

I know there is no nutritional difference on eggs with different shell colors, and think it quite funny that some people do!
I have searched Google high and low to find California Greys in Canada, but haven't had any luck. I wonder if I can order fertilized eggs from the USA???
We had Leghorns along with many other breeds when I was growning up on the farm, I don't remember them being any more flighty or freaking out when we would go in the coop, I guess they weren't quite as bold or friendly and wouldn't eat out of our hands, but they did do there job...

Back
Top Bottom