Hello

Well I have too.I had a quail once-beautiful and really friendly, but it died after one year and all of its feathers were shed from back(moulting maybe) and it suffered of flue.I loved that bird so much but such tragedy WS really hurtful.I really had no idea for how to tackle poultry bird,if I do then it wouldn't be ended up like that.
Then I came to learn a lot of things when I took admission in genetics-from basics of poultry till molecular genetics of chicken, the chick's genome and heridity characters.
I thank you all for giving me such a warm welcome and for showing so much support.
smile.png
I think a house quail would be easier than a full size chicken.

Sorry yours was short lived.

I think a house quail would be easier than a full size chicken.

Sorry yours was short lived.

Yup:(
It was so beautiful.My aunt have raised chickens and even of quails. Actually my uncle(late) was more interested in raising such birds but not for business, but as pets.
For my quail, most challenging was to look for female for breeding,we brought yellow quail with black spots on it and we were clueless-both died after few days of mating.Then we brought two more females if his strain but it also didn't worked out-both females denied to mate with him.My quail was brown,dark brown and I have named him 'mortein' because he used to ran in my house and desperately look for small insects to eat:D
He was indeed a good pet and was very jealous with other pet birds:D

Last edited:
My dad hatched and raised quail when I was a child…..but got a neighborhood 13 yo to water and feed while we were out of town. When we got home they had all escaped…the kid left the door open.

We heard the Bob White calls forever in the neighborhood after that. A real tease to Dad. Dad just gave up and didn't hatch any more.

Seramas are a tiny breed of chicken that were bred in Malaysia to be house pets. My friend has 2 seramas and 2 silkies in her home. She only keeps them as house pets. The seramas are the most hardy of the bunch. They are several years old now and chase the dog out of his bed, so they can lay in it.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

You had better watch out. We're going to end up talking you into getting chickens, space or no space!
wink.png
Sorry to hear about your quail losses. It's surprising how fond we can grow of our little feathered friends.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I love chickens and personally have a hard time understanding why everyone doesn't feel that way, but I do realize that having chickens is not for everyone. In spite of the encouragement of my fellow BYC members for you to get some (and believe me, I completely understand that encouragement), I would advise you not to get any chickens unless you really want them and are able and willing to give them good care. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your MSc in genetics.

You had better watch out. We're going to end up talking you into getting chickens, space or no space! ;)  Sorry to hear about your quail losses. It's surprising how fond we can grow of our little feathered friends.

No problem-looking forward to learn a lot from you people:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom