Hello!!

getwozzy

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 29, 2014
Hi everyone!

I'm new to keeping chickens, so I've decided to join this forum in hopes of gaining some knowledge :)

We currently live on some acreage (approximately 6.5) and there are 6 chickens living on the property. Our property is adjacent to my in-laws, and the current 6 are technically my BIL's but I take care of them occasionally. I have no clue what their species are but here are some pics of the first 4 -two are juveniles and are living separate due to attitude issues (I don't have pictures of them yet).

The original 4 started laying right before the summer ended, but have quit now thanks to winter.

My MIL notified me yesterday that we'll be getting 7 more this weekend, and has asked that I help her to take care of them. So this morning my husband and I helped set up a temporary living area for the 7 new ones until we can get a large enough coop and run built to accommodate all 13 chickens. Plus, I'm assuming the new chickens should go through some sort of quarantine and acclimation period in their new home before adding the stress of new flock members as well.

Although I'm new to chickens, I'm not new to birds in general- I have cared for parrots for the past few years; we currently have a galah cockatoo and 3 budgies. We also have 3 large dogs, 1 small dog, 4 cats, and a horse.

Anyways, I've been stuffing my head full of info about chickens these last couple of days and I feel like I'm learning quite a bit- hopefully once the newbies arrive I can get pictures of everyone and get them identified as far as species go and their care requirements.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you decided to join us.

You do need to keep the new chickens separate from your existing flock to make sure they don't bring in illness - one learning center article suggest 4 weeks.

And when you are ready to introduce them to the flock, you will need to to acclimate both groups to each other before allowing them to mingle…most divide with something to allow them to see each other for 2 weeks and observe their interactions. The pecking order will have to be re-established.

I have no experience in adding new chickens to my small flock, just glean info from the forums.

I do suggest you search the issue in the learning center.

For identification, post the best photos you can get under what breed/gender forum.

Wishing you success in the process.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

sunflour is right about keeping the new birds in isolation for a while and then keeping them separated before fully integrating. When we were ready to move our new birds out to the coop/run, we made a divider out of wire fencing that split the coop and covered run in two. That way the two groups of chickens could see each other and become acquainted before all being together. That doesn't stop some pecking going on once they are all one group, the pecking order has to be worked out again but as long as no one is getting bloodied, they'll work it out on their own.

I'm not an expert identifier but it looks like in the 1st picture you have a Speckled Sussex (upper right) and a Black Australorp next to her on the left. The bird facing the camera in the 2nd picture is an Easter Egger (she's the one giving you the blue-ish colored egg).

Hope you're enjoying the chickens!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Very pretty flock you have! I think I see a Black Australorp, a Speckled Sussex and maybe an Easter Egger in there too. You can post these pics in our What Breed and Gender section for more help with the breeds...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

X2 on the above posters. Always introduce new birds slowly to a new flock to prevent the spread of disease and to help work them into the pecking order. Separate the new birds in a cage, fenced off area or even one of those Peck and Play enclosures will work well. But keep them in the run or coop or someplace all the birds are going to be hanging out all together so they can all get to know each other all day long. Everybody sees, nobody touches. In about 4 weeks you can mix everybody together. There will still be bickering, but it shouldn't be horribly brutal. However you will need to watch everybody for that first week and always intervene if it turns bloody. Put out extra feeding and watering stations as well as the original flock can guard these areas and starve out the new birds completely.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your new flock...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice! :)

The newbies will have their own area until we can get a coop and run built to accommodate all 13. Their temporary living quarters is nearby (but not right next to) the current chicken pen, so they'll be able to see eachother at a distance, but not closely interact. I like the idea of splitting the coop and run to allow pecking order adjustments before letting them mingle full time with each other. We will of course wait until after the quarantine period is over. I don't know where the newbies came from or if any of them are sick or not, but the parrot keeper in me says to QT for 30 days so I can observe and treat if necessary.

I'll get pictures of everyone as soon as I can and post them in the Breed/Gender section to get everyone identified lol

They are fun little ladies- the Easter Egger's name is Cinderella (named by my niece) and she's my favorite-- loves interacting, and I love her poofy face because it reminds me of my galah's poofy face when she's snuggling

Back
Top Bottom