hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sugar pearl, Feb 14, 2015.

1. sugar pearl

sugar pearl New Egg

Feb 14, 2015
    north east
    New to the chicken world but living it. I inherited 6 chickens when I moved into a small holding and have now been given 6 more. They live in separate barns but when they come out they are like 2 gangs of thugs, so wondering how to introduce them. First set must be over 2 years old, new set are about a year, any advice appreciated :)

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

3. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC!! If you have any questions, PM me-i'd be glad to answer them!! [​IMG]

Turkenstein25

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Here is a nice article on adding new members to your flock https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

The best way I have found is the look but don't touch method. Have the two seperate groups fenced or penned into two seperate runs seperated by wire so they can see each and become aquainted but with out the fighting or the thuggish behaivour. After several weeks you should be able to let them mingle but be on watch with them so you can intervene if it becomes bloody or overly aggressive. Also adding extra feed and water stations when you get them all together is a good idea so no one can be bullied out of feeding and drinking.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your growing flock. Be sure to ask all the questions you need to everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    2 people like this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock".

Yorkshire Coop has given you some good advice and a helpful link. Good luck with the introduction!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. New chickens have to be introduced to a flock very slowly and carefully. There is a good article on introducing new chickens to a flock at http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in integrating your two flocks.

1 person likes this.
  7. 6275Smith

6275Smith Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Tons of good info on here. I hope you make yourself at home here.

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. Good luck with integration of the two flocks.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hello and welcome to Backyard chickens. When you mentioned them being thugs, I had a humorous thought of chickens with brass knuckles.[​IMG] It wasn't until I started on this site that I discovered not only are chickens adamant about "pecking order," but, they can resort to cannibalism if too crowded , bored or attacking a weak or injured bird. Safe integration of new and old birds is very necessary.

1 person likes this.
  10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yorkshire Coop X2. The "see but no touch" system is the best way. After several weeks of living together like this, the aggression is much less. I like to add more food and water stations too so that the original birds don't starve out the new birds, which can happen. It take several months for new birds to really become accepted. Always intervene if it does turn bloody.

Good luck with your new flock and welcome to ours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by