Hello

Oma Chickadee

Hatching
May 13, 2015
Hello and thank you for adding me to this group. I am in southern Alberta Canada, and I have recently moved back out to an acreage after 15 years in a town.

I now have 12 young hens - about 16 weeks old- who have just begun to lay. We are getting 5 eggs a day. I am not certain of the breed of these new hens, I think the boy I bought them from called them Little Browns. Is that a real breed?

When we lived in BC we had 4 New Hampshires, and 6 Rhode Island Reds.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Looking at your avatar (they are the birds in question?) they look like a red sex link that are a hybrid bird and go under many names from various hatcheries. They are excellent egg layers so with your 12 hens you will have lots of lovely fresh eggs.

Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
Good luck with your girls and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on drumstick divas' Isa Browns suggestion. Another possibility is Lohmans Browns (which is the same thing). Isa Brown and Lohmans Brown are two of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Link hybrids, which are egg laying machines. If they are Red Sex Links, they will be reddish or brownish colored with white underfluff and some white feathers in their tails. If you would like to post some pics of them, we can tell you for sure whether or not they are RSLs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom