hellooo!

angiejbrown

Chirping
May 10, 2015
North Vernon , IN
First time chicken owner here. I ended up walking out of the feed store with 2 chicks after I went in for birdseed. They will be pets (I'm vegan). I was wondering about their sex. They were labeled black sex links and they have all black heads but a white spot under each of their chins. I read some places that any white at all means male. I was told they are approx 2 was old. Any ideas of the sex? All input is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
If it has white then it's a male. Black Sex-Links are a cross between a red gene cock (like a Rhode Island Red) and a barred gene hen (such as a Barred Rock). This results in sex-linked chicks, where you can tell the sex as soon as the chicks are born. Female offspring inherit the red of the cock, being black with reddish accents around the neck and breast. Males have the barred gene of the hen, being completely barred. You see, female chicks are completely black, while males have white accents which is common in many barred varieties of chicken breeds.

Sorry, no. A white spot on the top of the head is indicative of barring, white elsewhere on the body is not.

That said, bsl pullets don't usually have that white on the throat, so I'm not positive what your birds are. Could be any number of black breeds.

Sorry, no. A white spot on the top of the head is indicative of barring, white elsewhere on the body is not.

That said, bsl pullets don't usually have that white on the throat, so I'm not positive what your birds are. Could be any number of black breeds.
I also agree.

Agreed

Back
Top Bottom