Helloooo

saffyloves

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 8, 2013
Norfolk, UK
Hello! Im Sapphire, im a total newbie to keeping chickens so here is a little about my first day!

The girls arrived this morning, and after leaving them be for most of the morning to settle in to their new home, i popped outside armed with a few grapes as treats and let them out of the coop into the runs. At first they were super cautious to come out, but once they figured they were safe, they were out and about scratching and pecking and gobbling up those yummy grapes.

I sat and watched for a bit just to figure out what their names would be, i soon figured that our white Pekin Bantam, Elizabeth (Queen Lizzy) is at the top of the pecking order (one of the many facts i learnt about from the breeder). She is first for food and pecks at the others (or just gives them a mean look!) if they try to barge in.

Our other girls are Millie, a pretty lavender Pekin Bantam she is very shy and is the last to check things out. Tilly, she is very inquisitive, she will come to me if i open the door just to check out what all the noise is about, she is a lovely black with a pretty grey feather collar. Betty is our mottled or speckled Pekin Bantam. She is much the same as Tilly and barges about checking every noise and movement out.

I am also super happy to already have our very first egg, i noticed that Elizabeth kept sitting in the egg box, i thought it was unlikely to even get an egg in the first week, once she had moved back outside i went to check out the nest box and to my surprise the daintiest little white egg was left behind. Still warm, it went straight into my little egg basket in the kitchen. I am super proud! Yay.

I love that she lays little white eggs, i am yet to see the others eggs. I'm sure my personal blog will contain more posts on the girlies as i get to know them and they start to venture and free range about the garden.
(brown egg is for size comparison)

Last edited by a moderator:
ya.gif
Eggs already! luv your coop! I want to say welcome! Which lady laided the big brown egg?

ya.gif
Eggs already! luv your coop! I want to say welcome! Which lady laided the big brown egg?

Hello :) thanks so much, i should probably put a little note up that the brown egg is one i had in the fridge, just to compare. I brought a box of 6 and hopefully wont need to anymore if the girls are happy!
celebrate.gif
i done a happy dance when i found the egg. It was defiantly Lizzie the white Pekin Bantam, i noticed she disappeared for a while so went to check it out!
Saffy

Last edited:
Awwww .... love your girls and your coop
love.gif
How pretty they all are.

Welcome and so glad you joined BYC

Congrats on your first egg and best wishes for many, many more :)

:welcome     love your coop - does it have  a people  sized door so you can  clean inside?
[/quote

No, looks can be super deceiving sometimes, it has a tray that I can slide out at the bottom of the whole coop, clean it out then pop it back in... It would be people sized if I was about 5! Haha

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom