Helo from Wildjane in Oho

wildjane

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 13, 2013
While I am a newcomer to Backyard Chickens, I am not a newcomer to chickens..... having first had a flock almost 40 years ago - about 20 hens, mostly White and Barred Rocks. This was during my early back-to-the-land days when, due mainly to a lack of money, I grew most of my own food and learned to can, make jelly, etc. Some money was also to be had through these homesteading efforts - selling eggs, blackberries and home-grown vegetables.

For the past 25 years I have been the founder/director of Wildlife Haven - a wildlife rehabilitation and environmental education organization. www.wildlifehaven.org I have had chickens again for about the last 5 or 6 years - and that began with someone bringing some young pullets someone had dumped out .... the finders obviously didn't know the meaning of 'wildlife' but that's OK. I was happy to get back into chickens again.

At present, due to attrition from old age and a weasel, we only have 6 hens. We are in the process of converting a corn crib to a good, secure coop and in the next month I will be ordering some chicks to increase the flock back up to around 15 or so. I am going to just get heavy-bodied American breeds... Barred Rock, Wyandotte, Dominique, that type. I will also be ordering 25 pheasant chicks for raise and release on our native prairie section here at Wildlife Haven.

In addition to chickens and wildlife, my husband Chuck and I also have a parrot rescue, 3 dogs, and 3 cats. We enjoy traveling in our motor home when time and the price of gas permits :) and I enjoy photography, reading and knitting. I look forward to 'meeting' some of you and sharing stories and info! ~ Jane

Howdy from Kansas, wildjane, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community! Best of luck to you and your future chickens!!

I still cannot figure out how I, who am usually very careful when I am typing, managed to title this thread "Helo from Oho" when I obviously meant "Hello from Ohio" :)

Welcome to BYC! I volunteer with a wildlife education organization here in central Ohio.. I'd be interested to see how you do with your pheasant release. We wanted to do that with bobwhite quail, but were told by the state wildlife guys that the quail would certainly not survive in a wild environment. Also, would you be interested in a rooster or two? We have a hen with Christmas chickies and I'm sure some will turn out to be roos. Too early to tell, but I already have my suspicions about some. They are beautiful and we do not have any mean roosters, we never have had. I would keep them but we don't need any more roosters right now! They'll be ready to fledge in another week or two.

Back
Top Bottom