1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help....1-2 week old chicks sneezing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChrystalGail, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I bought 15 1-2 week old chicks from a lady who purchased 100 of them online as a mixed heavy breed assortment. I've had them for about 3 days and today I noticed that I have 2 or 3 that are sneezing and have a clear nasal discharge. Sould I put them on a medicated chick feed or should I just let them be and see how they do? I live in Arizona and it is very dry and dusty here (as I'm sure a lot of you can imagine (105 today!)). I am concerned, because they are so small. I know that I have 5 Ameraucanas, 3 Domineques or Barred Rocks, 3 Black Australorps, and 4 that I don't know what they are. 2 are solid buff colored and 2 are red with black specks on their wings. I'm not really willing to take my $1 chicks to the vet, so that is not an option. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chrystal in Arizona:/

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Do you have shavings on the bottom of your brooder? The dust from fresh shavings can cause what you are describing.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    could be too much stress also which will affect their nutrient utilization of their feed...give three drops of POLYVISOL per day for a week then taper off and see if that does not help

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Congrats on your new babies!

Make sure your brood has plenty of ventilation. I also have noticed sometimes the dust from pine shavings will make them sneeze.

-Meghan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by