HELP! 10 week pullet ripped toe!

RubyLady

Songster
Jun 21, 2021
UPDATE: Found an older chicken also hurt. She's okay and we'll leave her with the other 6 but I'm afraid something is trying to reach up through the wire on the bottom of their coop which is like a stationary chickshaw. Otherwise I'm not sure how two of them got stuck and hurt their toes in the same morning. That's not likely.

Hi, one of our new pullets tore a middle toe today after being let out into the yard with the others this morning. I don't think it was a predator as she's not injured elsewhere and the others are fine.

The toenail is gone and the toe is hanging by the skin and I can see boney knuckle in the hanging piece.

Bleeding has stopped. She has been isolated and is eating, can stand and run but limping (I learned that from trying to catch her when I couldn't find her and then found her injured).

ADVICE PLEASE!! Do I apply antibiotic ointment? hydrogen peroxide? anything?
Do I cut off the rest of the skin and wrap it or just let it dangle?
Do I just leave her alone and apply nothing and let her heal?

The vet isn't "seeing new patients" so that's a no go and I don't have the money for one anyway.

Suggestions? Thank you!
IMG-5891.JPG
IMG-5893.JPG
IMG-5894.JPG

Last edited:
Turns out two have had torn off and mangled toes. An older one as well as the pullet. Since they aren't really hanging out together yet, we think a feral cat got to them as I saw her in the yard twice that day. We're trying to get rid of the cat, but it's a problem. Meantime, we've isolated the two, are treating them, and hoping they survive. The younger one is doing well and will be wobbly but probably fine. The older one is struggling.

Can you post a picture of their set-up? 1/2 inch hardware cloth metal fencing will prevent most predators from reaching or getting through to chickens. Rats are know to bite off toes, but other larger predators can reach through chicken wire and other fencing. Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) can be used to disinfect a wound. Then use plain triple antibiotic ointment twice a day.

It's 96F out and I've been out for the last couple of hours....so no pics right now. LOL

It's 1" hardware cloth on the bottom of the coop which stands about 18" off the ground. The 2x2 roosts are laid right over the wire floor. This is so they can poop right through it since they only sleep in there and only in summer so they can free-range in the yard without having to move them daily from their original (and now winter coop). This coop is in a fenced yard. It is not electric fence; it is 4' deer fence, but there was a hole in the 100 year old shed that borders it and the feral cat got in.

We've now wrapped the underneath of the coop with fencing and sheet metal scraps
so nothing can get under it.

My daughter is a vet tech and her vet said to use Vetericyn which I am now using. The younger one seems to be doing much better. The older one is rather lethargic but then I noticed she just started molting at the same time, so she's not a happy camper anyway.

Back
Top Bottom