HELP! 12 day old Turkey Poult in apparent respiratory distress

lindseyd

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
Golden, CO
I have 4 x 12 day old turkey poults. 2 Bourbon Reds, 2 Royal Palms. All are growing, eating, drinking (water has electrolytes), playing, thriving. None have been exposed to outside or other animals. ONE (a bigger BR) seems healthy except appears to have very labored breathing. Heavy chest lifting, puffing of "cheeks" and throat, and mouth breathing. Was playing and running around in the box earlier today, but increasingly is sitting out and laying down. We thought it had something in it's throat as they all kinda chase each other around for coveted pine shavings and treated with very small amount of honey. Any ideas? I'm very concerned. Breathing is very labored even when laying down. I've attached a video. Mates get in the way but you can see a bit of what i'm talking about. If you have any ideas please reply or call lindsey 720 290 1934

Also--ambient temp is about 90F. Birds aren't panting or avoiding heat lamp. they have ample space to be out of direct heat> they sleep near it but roam and play everywhere. The "sick" one deliberately directly under the lamp.

thanks!

How is the poult doing?

It could very well have gotten small sliver of bedding lodged in airway. Will it swallow if you drip water from eyedropper into open beak (drop at a time just inside one side of beak or the other - don't place eyedropper into open beak and squeeze)?

If it can swallow without difficulty, gently open beak and use flashlight to examine for obvious blockage. Thank you for posting vid. the poult still seemed to be relatively vigorous but for the labored breathing.

You might consider editing out Ph,.number from your post. Though BYC members are a good bunch, not everybody with a web browser is.

Ivan, thanks for the reply. He seems to be doing a little better today. I noticed his nostrils looked a little clogged. One side with possibly a scab (they peck at each other a bit) and one side maybe with electrolyte build up from the water. I rubbed a Q tip with some saline solution over his beak to clear it and he's doing less mouth breathing. Still eating, drinking, and playing which I think is a good sign. I will likely edit out my number tomorrow now that we might be out of the woods. Thanks for all of your advice. If I can get him to take water in the manner you described I'll take a look down his throat.

sincerely appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom