Help! 15 chickens killed in 3 hours, what could have done that?

Quote:
X2. Unfortunately with free roaming chickens the local wildlife will eventually discover the convenient and easy food source. They will keep coming back until the chickens are gone.

Same applies to free roaming dogs who discover the chickens. They may slaughter them all in one go or they may come back to play again another day.

yep that a dog attack , yes a fox would carry them off , but no where near 15, maybe 3 at most to feel their young.. fox will take them in daytime to......almost sure it was A DOG or pack of dog. i had a dog kill well over 25 within a hour...full grown meaties

There are dangers everywhere for chickens. I thought daytime was safe, but with dogs, hawks, vultures foxes etc. we have lost one after another. I hate to keep them locked up, but unless they are under guard it's just not safe.:-(

Quote:
I agree with the Fox. our chicks got attacked by dogs and one stayed gone for 2 days before returning. Keep your fingers crossed. I vote for the dog attack also.

Quote:
Including humans. I have to keep my bantams in almost all the time unless I am there baby sitting them and watching them every minute. They are very tame and too trusting. It's always horrible losing a chicken in a senseless way no matter what other living thing is the reason.
somad.gif

Quote:
I agree with the Fox. our chicks got attacked by dogs and one stayed gone for 2 days before returning. Keep your fingers crossed. I vote for the dog attack also.

Most likely 1 or more dogs. Dogs do it for fun and will kill all they can catch. Doubt if anything would carry off 13 chickens. I`m betting several are hiding. Wait and see, but be prepared to keep them penned if they do. Dogs, or anything else will return. May be a few days, but count on it........Pop

I came home from work one day to find 14 dead chickens inside a 5 ft high chainlink fence and 4 missing. I must have interrupted the "spree" as there was still a couple that were warm and a couple others that weren't quite dead. I was shocked since it was the middle of the day when it happened. Imagine my surprise the next morning (a saturday) when I witnessed a fox nimbly jump over the fence and head straight towards my chicken coop. So, yes, a single fox will kill multiple animals in a short amount of time in broad daylight and carry them off to cache for later consumption.

Somebody..somewhere said it best, "chickens look for ways to die" To not lose chickens you have to keep them extremely secure.

Quote:
a fox will smell fresh kill and come , but don't kill that high number, still say dog, fox may have can for a few, after the dog attack.

Back
Top Bottom