HELP ~ 16.5 hrs. into setting eggs the incubator, major problem

leeandtina

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
Eastern PA
This is our first time setting eggs. My daughter bought the eggs, we bought the incubator. The eggs she purchased online and when they were delivered they were 5 - 6 days from laid. We had the still air incubator set at the proper temp when they arrived and water in the trays on the bottom. We marked the eggs and set them in the bottom, lid on, everything was perfect. Now for the major problem.

16.5 hours into the set our one child half picked up the whole incubator and set the water running out, eggs rolling around
sad.png
We know from the directions we weren't to open it for the first 24 hours but we had to so we could refill the water, place the eggs back so they were all on the same side and put the thermometers back on the eggs.

What should we do now? Count them as being re-set from the time we fixed everything? Are they just lost and won't hatch? Just keep count time wise from when we first started them last night originally and turn them when we are supposed to the first time? We would love any help on this. We are really upset and are hoping all is not lost. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience or something like it and can give advice.

Thanks
smile.png

chicmom

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
Don't give up just yet......continue as if nothing has happened......count your 16.5 hours. Candle the eggs at day 7 to see how things are progressing......

Good luck!

leeandtina

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
Eastern PA
Oh thank you so much for the replies:clap I just jumped up to let her know. I think we are both breathing a sigh of relief. So we candle next Friday night. These are really dark eggs, Black Morans and I stuck 2 of our own Rhode Island Reds in just cause I couldn't resist. I have to go look at the pics that are in the faq posts to see exactly what we should be looking for then. I hope a good amount survive their jumbledness!

fordmommy

Dancing With My Chickens
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Wisconsin
I wouldn't fret too much at this point. You are barely getting started so it should be fine. If it was half way or more you could worry. It really should be just fine.
smile.png

Top Bottom