Help..2 new unknowns

Swampwood

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Krotz Springs, LA
Picked 2 cute ones from a giant mixed lot.. They had no idea what they are.. I'm guessing Wellsummer?? but, I'm new:( and chicken eliterate. I'm referring to the brown ones..they might not even be the same breed:/

55385_br_chicks.jpg

55385_sany0105.jpg

Last edited:
1st picture: I'm guessing the brown one in the back is an EE (Easter Egger) or Ameraucana...It looks like he/she has fluffy cheeks to me.
smile.png
2nd brown one looks different because of the different beak color and different feather pattern.
hu.gif

The brown chick in the back is an EE and the other could be a welsummer but could be a brown leghorn time will tell.

I think Ameraucanas don't only have green legs. Our black Ameraucana, Raven, has blue/gray colored legs. ALso, Ameraucanas have pea combs, right? So does your chick have a pea comb or can you not tell? And Ameraucanas only lay blue eggs though, while EEs lay mostly green, pink, etc.
EEs are basically a cross between an Ameraucana and another breed, right? Then what if you crossed an Ameraucana with blue/gray feet with a standard breed, such as a Cochin, that has white/green/gray legs? You get an EE with gray/blue legs, like in my case. I have a Cochin/Ameraucana pullet that is considered an EE, since it's a mutt chicken from an Ameraucana, but she doesn't have green feet just because she's an EE. So no, I don't think neither Ameraucanas or EEs only have green legs.
smile.png
idunno.gif
I'm sure many do, but not all. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
hide.gif
tongue.png

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. But the stripes on its back aren't common in usual RIRs I don't think.
hu.gif

I'm so new to chickens... But could the brown chick monk colored one in the front be a speckled sussex? My 2 looked like that as chicks. They had a very yellow/white fuzzy belly. So cute!

The little brown one with the V on her head looks just like my Welsummer chicks did at that age, the other looks like an EE to me (recently learned that they don't always have green/blue legs, it's just more the norm), don't recall if you asked about the little black one, she looks like a BPR to me. Just guesses of course.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom