Help - 3 week old ducklings dead in 18 hours!

I agree with @Miss Lydia. It sounds like Coccidiosis to me. I have not dealt with it personally but because I lean toward paranoia..worry wart..I read as much as I can and the symptoms sound tragically correct. It's possible that a wild bird delivered it as they can certainly transmit lice, mites & diseases. However, birds almost always have the bacteria within them. You need to visit your local feed supply store and purchase Corrid. I don't know the dosage but I'm sure someone else can advise? Do be cautious as it's mixed with feed or water and ducklings can overdose if ingesting too much. Corrid is a brand name but the medication is called Amprolium, I believe.
From what I understand, this disease can overcome young, older or ill ducklings & chicks but is generally does not unless their systems are weakened or compromised by something else. I'd treat this immediately..keep them dry & warm & give niacin (water soluble vitamin b supplements) & electrolytes. Don't worry, poultry cannot overdose on vitamin b as the excess will transfer to waste & the more electrolyte ingested right away the better.
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss! It sounds like you've been a diligent and loving mom. This isn't something you should blame yourself for. These things do, unfortunately happen. I will keep you & yours in prayer.

Corid dose

Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon
When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions:

Corid 9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

Corid 20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

The directions above are the same when using any 9.6% liquid or 20% powder. Such products include Amprol, AmproMed, Amprolium 200, Amprid, CocciAid, etc.

Click here to learn how to give medications orally:
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl

@Dees ducks, ignore my post above, those are not available in the UK. Those in the UK use something called Harker's Coxoid.
HK004(600).jpg

No, but there should be instructions on the bottle. What the bottle won't have though are instructions for giving a direct oral dose, which is what I would recommend in addition to the medicated. water.

For that, I would suggest giving 0.06 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally 2 times a day.

Last duckling died yesterday afternoon. I'm so so so devastated, upset, heartbroken and angry in equal measures. I only had the 5 ducklings 24 days but they were already part of the family and I loved each and every one.
Thank you all for your advice and support it is much appreciated.
I will look up cocci and see the info. Before your suggestions I was thinking hepatitis? My older ducks and older ducklings seem to be fine though ( please God).
I don't know - if feels like all the joy has been sucked out of my world.Can't seem to express the same enthusiasm for my other ducks or my dogs for that matter. I think I'm still in a bit of shock, hopefully it will pass.

Back
Top Bottom