HELP!! 3 WEEK OLD PEKIN PANTING AND BREATHING REALLY HARD

beetheduck

Hatching
Mar 24, 2024
my pekin duckling is almost 4 weeks old and has been panting on and off since we first got it on march 1st. i gave him vetrx and he finished his antibiotics of baytril nearly 2 weeks ago. why is he panting again? he’s also wheezing which i thought was his big duck voice coming in as it sounds like a quack, but im thinking it might be something else.

my pekin duckling is almost 4 weeks old and has been panting on and off since we first got it on march 1st. i gave him vetrx and he finished his antibiotics of baytril nearly 2 weeks ago. why is he panting again? he’s also wheezing which i thought was his big duck voice coming in as it sounds like a quack, but im thinking it might be something else.
ALSO: his poops are looking great, he’s eating and drinking water as normal. he has never been the active type. his feet are pigeon toed and he stands on his feet it’s getting better since i started feeding him egg shells and more collared greens. but he hasn’t panted in a couple weeks. i don’t know why he’s starting. when he was panting before it was only when he was settling in for bed. otherwise he would be completely fine. i’m worried it’s starting again. there are no vets within 100 miles of where i am that can take a duck. should i start him on the baytril again?

What infection are you treating with the antibiotics? How hot is his brooder? What is his diet? Why are you giving him shells and collard greens?
Can he clean his head?
He needs duckling feed, with nutritional yeast, 1tbs per cup of feed?

Welcome to byc. A few photos or a video would help. I am not very experienced in the duck field as it’s been almost 5 years since I’ve had ducks. I have had a chicken who was panting and couldn’t move properly. It was from an injury after getting stuck under the fence. She was like that for a day or two and it stopped.

Does it look hurt?
Does it have a balanced diet?
Is the water clean?
It may be scared of something or overwhelmed
Give it extra attention and keep us updated please.
Prayers for your duckling

ALSO: his poops are looking great, he’s eating and drinking water as normal. he has never been the active type. his feet are pigeon toed and he stands on his feet it’s getting better since i started feeding him egg shells and more collared greens. but he hasn’t panted in a couple weeks. i don’t know why he’s starting. when he was panting before it was only when he was settling in for bed. otherwise he would be completely fine. i’m worried it’s starting again. there are no vets within 100 miles of where i am that can take a duck. should i start him on the baytril again?
@beetheduckhow is your duck?

Back
Top Bottom