Help! 48 hrs post first hatch, 2 eggs remain

austrianalps13

Songster
8 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Harpers Ferry WV
I'm new here and have a fast question I need super fast help with.

I've had chickens all my life on the farm growing up and now 8 years in my own back yard.

This is the first time I had a broody and she hatched 9 out of 11 fertile eggs. Chicks all happy and jumping around. 2 eggs remain intact. What should I do?
Mom is now off and on on those eggs. Should I hatch them somehow in the house? I don't have an incubator. Any alternatives? Please just post whatever advise you guys may have. Thanks!

Never mind. I'm certain they are dead. Momma was off and they are cold, BUT she is on the chicks and keeping them all warm out there. And she does have 9 of them.

One just had liquid in it and the other had a chick in it that looked almost done, but dead. I'm too curious not to look.
Funny how momma knew-she sat in the opposite corner of her maternity ward, away from the two eggs.
I had self conversations here, sorry.

My flock of 4 now has 9 chicks :)
So much fun! I'll try and get pix and post them on Monday when I'm off work again. Good night!

welcome-byc.gif

And congrats on your 9 new additions!

When I hatch with a broody, I let her eggs be until she gets off the nest, then I pull the remaining eggs. Some folks bring them in and try to incubate them in case of a late hatch, but I don't have the inclination to do that. I figure there's a reason they didn't hatch.

Did the mom push the 2 eggs out of her nest my hen hatched 4 egg in 8 days 2 on the15th but 1 got killed :( 1 on the 17th 1 on 19th (thats my birthday) and 1 on the night of the 21 i wached 2 of the 4 hatch :D and the hen has 2 more eggs under her so i would wate and see if the mom pushes the eggs out. Mine has done it to one of the two eggs that she has now

Last edited:
Sounds like a good hatch. If you set the hen with fresh/fertile eggs, then all the eggs that will hatch---should hatch within a day or two of each other----before the hen leaves the nest. I set 27 hens this season and it was very close to 100% hatch on all of them. I have never set a hen and had eggs hatching for days and days.

Back
Top Bottom