Help! 5 day old chick has a full crop and is very lethargic

kauana

Chirping
May 25, 2021
Hello everyone,
I have a 5 day old buff orpington that I think is not doing well. I noticed that she has a full stiff crop and is very quiet, lethargic, and seems to be sleeping all day. I thought she may have digestion issues and I read on BC to try giving her some oil and massaging her crop which I did. However, I think she is pooping because last night I cleaned her butt because she poops laying down and today it is dirty again, so I am unsure if she has a digestion problem.

She seems to be eating and drinking just fine and doesn't seem to be in pain. Is there anything else I can give her to help her be more active + make that neck bulge go away? It looks so big that I think makes her lose her balance when she walks or tries to clean her feathers :confused:
Here are some pictures I took this morning. Thank you!!

Attachments

• PXL_20220831_142142722.jpg
    PXL_20220831_142142722.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20220831_142209648.jpg
    PXL_20220831_142209648.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 13
What does her poop look like?

In chicks, it's hard to gauge crop function if they are brooding with a red light, they eat/drink 24/7. It may be normal that her crop is full.

How warm is the brooder -temp of the warm side and the cool side?

Keep her bottom cleaned and get some photos of her poop. She may not be drinking well.
You can offer some wet feed with a bit of coconut oil stirred in. If you feel you must give liquid oil, then take extreme care syringing oil, it can be easily aspirated.

Giving 2-3 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench twice a day may be helpful as well.

What does her poop look like?

In chicks, it's hard to gauge crop function if they are brooding with a red light, they eat/drink 24/7. It may be normal that her crop is full.

How warm is the brooder -temp of the warm side and the cool side?

Keep her bottom cleaned and get some photos of her poop. She may not be drinking well.
You can offer some wet feed with a bit of coconut oil stirred in. If you feel you must give liquid oil, then take extreme care syringing oil, it can be easily aspirated.

Giving 2-3 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench twice a day may be helpful as well.

Thank you for your answer. The temperature on the warm side registered 87 and the cool side 80. Is that too hot maybe?
When you say "wet feed" do you mean mixing the chick feed with some water and then adding coconut oil?

It may be a little warm on the cool side. Do they avoid the heat?

Yes, mix the chick feed with a little water and coconut oil. You may need to play with the consistency a bit, adding water or feed. Some chicks like it a bit soupier. I've found that most of my chick(en)s like their wet feed about the consistency of creamy oatmeal.

It may be a little warm on the cool side. Do they avoid the heat?

Yes, mix the chick feed with a little water and coconut oil. You may need to play with the consistency a bit, adding water or feed. Some chicks like it a bit soupier. I've found that most of my chick(en)s like their wet feed about the consistency of creamy oatmeal.
Thank you! I will give this a try :jumpyI will try moving the lamp up a bit and further away from the cool side. I don't they they avoid the heat, but it is good to give them the option

Back
Top Bottom