Help 5 day old chick in trouble

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenrun1020, Sep 6, 2014.

1. chickenrun1020

chickenrun1020 In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    North Grosvenordale, CT
    Hi everyone, I received an order of 6 chicks yesterday all alive one of my chicks turned over on its back by itself. When I helped her over she seemed back to normal. I gave them electrolytes in the water. And are on medicated chick starter feed. Last night before I went to bed I noticed she was spawned out with her neck suspended. This morning she was back to normal. Running around with the others. I noticed she had a little pasty but so I soaked in in warm water to remove it. Then placed her under the heat lamp. Now she's sprawled out again. She's breathing but looks like she's dying. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way to save this poor chick should I separate her from the rest of them?

2. chickenrun1020

Apr 23, 2012
    North Grosvenordale, CT
    [​IMG]
    This was her after soaking her but
    [​IMG]
    This was her yesterday when I got her home

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get her and dip her beak into the electrolyte water as often as possible all day today, because it sounds like she is suffering from shipping stress. Make sure her vent opening is open, and you can even put a tiny bit of vegetable oil on a QTip to lubricate it. Make sure that your brooder temperature is 90 degrees F with a thermometer on the floor, and make a cooler area away from the light available.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickenrun1020

Apr 23, 2012
    North Grosvenordale, CT
    Thanks for the advice. It is 90 degrees under the heat lamp I put vegetable oil on her vent as suggested and have dipped her beak in the electrolyte water. She is drinking :)

5. chickenrun1020

Apr 23, 2012
    North Grosvenordale, CT
    Sadly not only did the chick die. Another one did too. I guess shipping from Ohio to ct. Was too much on the poor things I hope I don't lose anymore :(

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Shipping is very hard on chicks, but it's the only way most people can get them. Even chicks from the feed stores are shipped through the mail, and quite a few of them are lost in the first few days to a week. Excessive heat or cold, and rough handling can be really tough on them. With the hatcheries such as Meyer that do small shipments, they have to add heat packs to keep them warm, but it helps to order a few extra. I found that ordering 15 was actually the same price as ordering 4 due to less shipping. I certainly hope that the rest of your chicks stay healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: