HELP! 6 more chicks died today. Is it coccidiosis?

Pheonix,

You said you're just trying to do what you can to prevent more deaths until you can get Corid tomorrow, right?

I'm not sure this is cocci, but i'm not sure it isn't. Since the turkeys left and came back about 2 weeks ago, the possibility is there. I'm just not sure. I'm sorry i'm also not sure whether chickens and turkeys share the same strains. Even if they don't, that doesn't mean they couldn't help spread a strain to a new area.

Milk products are used to help build up mucous in the intestines to ease the discomfort of the lesions and possibly aid in healing. So i would probably make a mash with milk and their normal crumbles and scrambled eggs or boiled eggs. Feed it to the whole flock so you can help out the ones who are still feeling ok too. I would not try to feed anything like kale or spinach at this time. I suggested eggs in that mixture because eggs, specifically the yolks, are so full of easily absorbed nutrition for the chickens. They need all the help they can get.

Even if this isn't cocci, this mash will be a little easier for them to eat and will help them get needed nutrients they need to recover from whatever IS bothering them. I'm sorry i'm not more help. This is an interesting and somewhat mysterious situation.

I did read about the cedar. And i don't have personal experience with cedar shavings and chickens, but i seriously doubt that the cedar caused this specific problem. I could be wrong.

One other thought is to check the feed for moisture. If it got wet, it probably molded. Some molds act like poison for chicks and might be a contributing culprit. That's just a thought.

It has both. Half is a wooden shed area with a door leading into the other half that is a caged in area that is also raised. Kinda like rabbit cage but a lot bigger.

The grain never got wet so its not mold. We have over 80 chickens so the grain doesn't sit around for a while either.

Really the two big changes we made just before we started loosing chicks is using cedar shavings and switching from a medicated chick starter to a non medicated.

It does sound like it could be cocci, get the corid, be sure to keep clean water for them...Another thing it is not good to mix turkeys and chickens, there is the disease blackhead that both birds can get, turkeys are more likely, and it will wipe out turkeys,chickens have more of a immune system to it... for this try duramicyn...most feed stores have it...it is frustating when you can't figure out what to do...
hit.gif

He went to the store this morning to get medicine.

I knew a friend of mine always kept her chickens and turkeys separate but I never knew why. Has anyone else had problems mixing them? Or had no problems at all? We have been mixing them all along but only since this outbreak started have we had problems. We did loose a turkey a few times unexpectedly but it was rare.

He (ringoVT) just got back. He could not find Corid but they did have Sulmet. It was the only thing to treat cocci they had. The guy at the grain store also suggested electrolytes. Should we add both to the water at the same time? He added both to the water and the sick looking chicks were given it by hand. How long till he sees improvement? Should he plan to strip and disinfect the entire coop soon? Should the bedding be changed everyday?

Last edited:
Last night was a no loss night, Although some of the chicks are looking a little sad it was nothing like last week. I did not put any lights on last night. They seemed to like it better a little cooler. 95 is way to hot for that age chicks. I just went out and looked again and it seems as though all are eating, chirping, drinking, and playing around like chicks do.

Oh yeah, I rolled a stick of unsalted butter in the chickstarter. They ate about half. I just checked on them all again. They are amazingly diferant with lots of spirit and energy. I only saw one chick with droopy wings. I hope this is the road to recovery. Thank You rising Pheonix, all of this here would'nt be if it were'nt for you.

Back
Top Bottom