HELP! 6 more chicks died today. Is it coccidiosis?

Quote:
I have never used Sulmet, but i have read that sometimes it acts a little more slowly than Corid. Just be patient. I think that may also depend on what strains they were exposed to.

As to the bedding, i think there are probably a couple of schools of thought on that. Here's mine: if this really is cocci, i would not worry about disinfecting the coop or changing the bedding any more than normal. Just keep it at the normal state of cleanliness. Your chickens are developing their resistance to this organism which they cannot reasonably avoid, so they need to have some contact with it in order to develop and strengthen their resistance. The overpopulation of the organism has taken place in their intestines, which is where the protozoa multiply. Once they are over this sort of-infestation, they should be resistant to whatever strains they were exposed to.

Do make efforts to keep any damp bedding cleaned up, as this is especially good area for the microorganisms to become active.

Here's the scoop on Cocci-it is actually present in all chicken environments. The more exposure to their own droppings, the more exposure to cocci. Cocci loves a warm, damp environment. Weather like we've been having here in Ohio--hot, humid and in the upper 80s provides a breeding ground for cocci, especially on the soil of a chicken run.

Antibiotics will not kill Cocci--you need a Coccidiostat, like Corid, as you mentioned earlier. The Antibiotics won't kill the cocci, but it will help with the infection that is sometimes caused by the cocci, which is a protozoa (like a little organism, I guess).

Anyhow, I bought Corid at Tractor Supply. It was in a powder form for Bovine, and I called the number on the package, where a vet told me the doseage, which is 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons of water. It worked like a charm. I came out one morning to the coop to find bloody poos, dosed them with Duramayacin in the water--which was all I had--then went online to find the right stuff (Corid), and treated them with that. Nipped it in the bud.

Cocci is deadly to chicks, but chickens over 17 week usually have built their own immunities and will be fine.

Good luck to you! Hope your chicks recover.

Sharon

Is it called Corid at TSC? I looked on line and did not find it with a search. I have some 5 week old chicks that have bloody poop. I moved them out of their one coop that was hard to keep dry and moved them into a pen that is on dry sand and in the sun and gave them some Sulmet.

Quote:
Yep, it's called Corid. At TSC, it's in a packet and it's a powder form--I think the liquid might be way more expensive......

Good luck with your chicks! Gotta handle it quickly!

Sharon

Four chicks died during the night and 2 more were dead by 3:30 today. This is the worst day yet. A friend is picking up Corid and it should be there tonight. So the dosage is 3tbsp to 5gal of water?

I'm sorry you are going through this. I have lost 9 chickens (all 1 year or just under) and chicks in the past months to Cocci. It showed up and I completely missed all the signs
sad.png
It is bad news to little ones and weak ones. I agree that you need Corrid. I read somewhere that Sulmet can be toxic in the wrong amounts so I just won't use it. I used Corrid (liquid kind) and I'm starting my second round of it this week since I still see blood in some of the droppings. I used 2 TBSP per gallon of water and about a tsp in their little quart water bottles. Good luck.

Last edited:
The dosage for Corid is one to two teaspoons per gallon. I would suggest using the largest dose. There are some strains of cocci that are unresponsive to Sulmet. To my knowledge, Corid is effective with all strains of cocci.

Three tablespoons per 5 gallons would be appropriate.

It is recommended that you change the solution each day and dose for 5 full days.

Back
Top Bottom