Help! 8 w.o. w/ Cocci--Anything to do beside Corid?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pola, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Pola

Pola New Egg

Jun 7, 2010
    Hello Wonderful Chicken Folk!
    We stand on the precipice of our first Cocci outbreak and are trying desperately to save our one weekend chicken. One the day of the first evidence of lethargia, we got Sulfadimethoxine, gave it for a day and a half, but at the wrong dosage. Now on day three and just started Corid. Most of our small fries (we only have 6 in this one group) are feeling more perky, but there is one that is comatose nearly. I have her in front of a bowl of medicated water (like an earlier post cleverly pointed out, they snooze, dip beak, wake up and drink), btu she is breathing slowly and deeply and barely wakes up.

My question is, what else could I do? Can I put vinegar and sugar in her water with the corid to give her a boost? Or something else? HELP!!!!

Again, thank you to all you who respond to people's calls for help! This place is amazing![​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Some chicks just don't thrive no matter what you do. It sounds like you are doing everything you can.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If she is not drinking the Corid water, i just read another thread last week, in which someone's vet said that you can use a needless syringe to pour 10 cc (per day) of the Corid in their mouths. To me, the most important thing to do right now is to get the Corid into her. I have heard great testimonials about very quick recovery, even after looking pretty bad like yours.

I hope she perks up soon.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Hi there.
    What I would do is try to put some PolyViSol without iron in some yogurt and TRY to get her to eat it. If that isn't possible, I would put some vitamins in the water.
    She may be too far advanced in the process to help-I sure hope that isn't the case.
    Good luck to you.

5. Pola

Pola New Egg

Jun 7, 2010
    Hi! Thanks so much for the speedy replies! I was just reading the huge thread about the bossynbella outbreak and thinking I was a big whiner over one little chick...but shes a sweetie!

OK, so stick with corid (will continue to try to get her to drink by dipping beak, using syringe, etc) and mix Polyvisol (with yoghurt)...Ill try to find it.

Can I use the yoghurt and perhaps honey until Im able to get out and hunt it down (we live in a fairly rural area...)?

Thanks so much for the well wishes and encouragement! I wish there was a forum like this for parenthood, marriage, dealing with mothers, taxes, etc etc! [​IMG]

Be well!

6. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Don't give vinegar....it will neutralize the Corid.

Polyvisol available at any drug store or walmart in the baby section. Available at your feed store is a powdered electrolyte which will help. Also Pedialyte. As mentioned above...use a syringe (no needle) or eye dropper to get it down if they won't drink on their own.

Good luck!

7. Pola

Pola New Egg

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks everyone! Sadly, she did not make it. My seven year old saw her die too. Not a good day. [​IMG]
    I dont know whether we got to her too late with the corid, she asperated some of the water (in our attempts to get it down her when she wouldnt drink or wake much), or....The others got through it, but are now having a resurge. We immediately put corid in their water, gave them yogurt with garlic mash and hunted down polyvisol. Fingers crossed, just hope that there will be an end. Am trying to wean them out onto the grass again...

Anyway, we are so thankful for the BYC community! You saved us again! [​IMG]

8. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Awww, sorry about your little one! That's never easy and sometimes we lose them despite our best efforts.

I've had good luck mixing in powdered milk with the feed as well, along with the yogurt, it helps soothe their irritated bellies. A wild card, but in case you happen to have dairy goats around, a farmer down the road from me swears by raw goat's milk to "cure" Cocci.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by