Help!! 9 week old LF Cochins missing feathers.

If the roo is the same age as the 9 week pullets then he is a cockeral not a rooster. Pullets become hens at 1 year and similarly cockerals become roosters at a year.

I would also double check for lice and mites. If the chicks were in with sexually mature cockerals or roosters their feather loss could be a sign of having been repeatedly dominated.

Are there any pics feathers coming in on the bare spots?

Feather pickers often learn the behavior from other birds or develop it if they aren't getting proper nutrition.

What are you feeding them?

Did I miss where you said how long you've had them? Did you quarantine them?

You could try putting some chicken saddles on them to cover the bald spots and give them so time to regrow feathers. Only after you are certain they don't have external parasites.

We have had them a little over a week. I had them in a separate area for a week before introducing them to the rest of the flock. Wondering if I should have given more time apart now. Their feathers are starting to come back in some now. They are currently on a 22% protein feed since being in my care. (I'll take a better pic of the feathers coming in on them and post in a second.

If the roo is the same age as the 9 week pullets then he is a cockeral not a rooster. Pullets become hens at 1 year and similarly cockerals become roosters at a year.

I would also double check for lice and mites. If the chicks were in with sexually mature cockerals or roosters their feather loss could be a sign of having been repeatedly dominated.

Are there any pics feathers coming in on the bare spots?

Feather pickers often learn the behavior from other birds or develop it if they aren't getting proper nutrition.

What are you feeding them?

Did I miss where you said how long you've had them? Did you quarantine them?

You could try putting some chicken saddles on them to cover the bald spots and give them so time to regrow feathers. Only after you are certain they don't have external parasites.

All 4 of them are the same age (9 - 10 weeks old now) here are pics of their feathers coming in. Do they seem to be growing in properly?

Attachments

• 20180628_184923.jpg
    20180628_184923.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180628_185421.jpg
    20180628_185421.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180628_185502.jpg
    20180628_185502.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 3
I would keep an eye on the bird with feathers to make sure it isn't the one doing the picking. It could just have become a habit from boredom or overcrowding rather than a deficiency.

Excellent point! I have seen the others peck at her and she runs off, she seems to be the most laid back out of them. I'll keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom