Help a newbie out!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewChicInTownGA, Feb 19, 2015.

1. NewChicInTownGA

NewChicInTownGA Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2015
    McDonough Ga
    So my Husband and I got 7 chicks, about a month old. Anyone want to take a stab at what we have? Hen VS rooster and possibly what kind? Any guesses and advice would be greatly appreciated! Here we goooo....

Chick 1
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]

Chick 3
    [​IMG]

Chick 4
    [​IMG]

Chick 5

[​IMG]

Chick 6

[​IMG]

Chick 7

[​IMG]

2. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Looks like they are easter eggers or Rhode Island Reds.
    So far I can not be sure if they are male or female but I think you have 6 females and 1 male. The male being Chick 4. But I am not COMPLETLY sure.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I think chick #1 may be male only because in the pic, his legs appear to be thicker than the other birds' legs. 2 or 3 of them might be EE's but it's hard to tell if the leg color is black or green/slate on some of them, they have the right combs though.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Where did you get them? Knowing where they came from might narrow down the choices.

Chicks #3 and #4 looks a bit like Partridge Plymouth Rocks. Chick #7 may be a Black Australorp. Some of the others may be Easter Eggers, but I'm not sure.

It is too young to tell gender, though I'm not seeing any definite rooster signs.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    1,2 , and 5 look like easter eggers, not sure what 3 and 4 are. Not exactly positive on 6. And 7 looks like a black australorp.

6. NewChicInTownGA

NewChicInTownGA Just Hatched

Feb 19, 2015
    McDonough Ga
    It
    was a buy/sell/trade. She had soooo many hatch at once she just put them all together and did say there were a few EE in there. She was great. She has 40+ chickens and raises them, sells them etc. And she even have me one that she definitely thought was a rooster, and tried to look at their wings, markings, and feet as well to help get me some hens! So fingers crosses. But it's the first go around and definitely not the last, I'm excited to have whatever. Just preferably one rooster, two max, and we will separate them accordingly.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with these guesses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by