Help, Adult duck developed wry neck??

mangaotaku

Hatching
Mar 11, 2023
Good evening,

This morning I noticed one of my hens (Welsh harlequin) has difficulty walking straight, it also has its head basically stuck sideways against it's back. I noticed it was able to drink some this morning as well.

This duck is almost a year old, and is one of 20 other ducks in the same coop. None of the other ducks have similar symptoms.

2 weeks ago I switched from the Dumor brand food to Purina, but from my research dumor seems to be made by Purina, so they're likely the same.

They all share a ~300sqft coop in the evenings. They have hay bedding layered as needed.

From what I've researched it seems that vitamin E is the solution? Should I just put her in a kennel with some bedding with some ducklings for company and give her vitamin E a few times a day and hope it improves ?

Has anyone else had this issue with an adult duck ?

Some need extra niacin. It's not necessarily the same feed, Dumor is a tractor supply brand that is milled by Purina to tscs standards.
So maybe switching back to dumor would also solve the issue. I haven't seen any issues with the other ducks though, so it's odd. Should I separate her from the other adult ducks and just bring her inside with the ducklings and feed her peas/yeast/etc and it should improve over time?

So maybe switching back to dumor would also solve the issue. I haven't seen any issues with the other ducks though, so it's odd. Should I separate her from the other adult ducks and just bring her inside with the ducklings and feed her peas/yeast/etc and it should improve over time?
Dumor is a bottom tier feed, it's not bad but you're likely better with the purina.
Peas won't help but brewers yeast and some extra supplements should help. I'm not sure if the dose for ducks is different from chickens, let me look.

If it’s her neck ( wry neck ) the treatment would be eggs with vitamin E mixed in
Do you have a video of her to help us see what you see
You can upload to YouTube then copy the link to here
Here a video and a few pictures

She doesn't seem to be able to open her beak to eat, I've been mixing some duckling crumbs with water and some "nutrient and energy drench" which has niacin. Blue Ribbon power punch and poultry nutri-drench. The tractor supply near me didn't have any of the b complex available, but maybe the vitamin mix is also good since it seems like she can't eat the solids... She has a hard time walking straight and balancing. If I try to extend her neck, she will open her beak a little bit, but I'm not able to get any food or liquids in because she will pull back quickly. I've been holding a bowl with the vitamin water duckling feed mix for her and she will drink some, not sure if she's able to get the crumbs, but at least she's getting some vitamins..
IMG_20230312_132340397_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230312_132331597_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230312_132331597_HDR.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 4
It also seems if I'm and to hold a bowl of food infront of her and massage/get her head slightly back to normal position she's able to eat some.

Hi @mangaotaku

I have not come across wry neck in a duck as old as yours. if it is wry neck, Adding B1 and E vitamins, as well as selenium to the diet can reverse the condition. Brewer's yeast alone is not adequate.

Use a vitamin supplement that contains both Vitamin E and selenium. AND at this stage I would use Durvet High Level Vit B complex, 1ml orally over a treat every day, to corrext the Vit B1 deficiency.

If you feed your ducks dumor duck pellets they should be OK in the future but adding nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast as a maintenance treatment will not harm them

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom