Help advice needed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alibobs, Apr 11, 2017.

1. alibobs

alibobs New Egg

Apr 11, 2017
    My bantams are sitting on some fertile eggs. Two hatched 10 days ago ( we lost one as he got out and got too cold before we realised) on Saturday I went to remove the unhatched eggs and found another little one and yesterday another one had hatched. I don't want to remove the other two eggs just in case but how much longer should I give them? All three chicks are now under a lamp in the spare bedroom as I found the 2 newest one out of the nest and cold but I managed to revive them

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    it sounds like maybe as your hen was broody that her friends may have laid some eggs in the nest box she is in. I've had that happen before

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    Hi there and [​IMG]! We are glad you could join the flock!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under alibobs [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree with Ken that you are probably best off posting on the forum he has given you a link to.

Your predicament is known as a staggered hatch and leaves me asking questions like how many bantams are we talking about sitting on eggs?

Are they all in together or do they have their own separate area?

Have you taken the chicks away because none of the bantams are looking after them?

If you had two hatch 10 days ago was that under the same broody whose eggs you went to remove on Saturday and found another one?

Just a tip for future hatches under a broody hen, when she has a clutch of eggs and starts sitting, mark those eggs so that you can take away any additional eggs that she steals or that her friends lay in the nest; that way the marked eggs should all hatch at the same time and you will not end up with a staggered hatch.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by