HELP! Advice needed!

DuckLady97

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 16, 2012
I have an 2 Indian Runners and one of them is a girl who is sitting on her eggs and it looks like she's losing weight. She is't able to keep them very warn and is losing her color and I'm not sure what to do!
Also, in the winter, do my ducks need to acclimated to the cold weather?
When they sit on their eggs do they keep laying or do the stop after they think they have enough eggs?
I've only had these ducks for about 8 months and they're the first two ducks I've ever had so I am definitely not an expert. Please help: I need help like ASAP.

I have an 2 Indian Runners and one of them is a girl who is sitting on her eggs and it looks like she's losing weight. She is't able to keep them very warn and is losing her color and I'm not sure what to do!
Also, in the winter, do my ducks need to acclimated to the cold weather?
When they sit on their eggs do they keep laying or do the stop after they think they have enough eggs?
I've only had these ducks for about 8 months and they're the first two ducks I've ever had so I am definitely not an expert. Please help: I need help like ASAP.
She probably is losing a little weight. It is to be expected. Try giving her some extra protien, maybe in the way of warm oatmeal.

Ducks seem to add some body fat for the winter.

They do not lay when broody. If she is still laying she isn't full on broody yet.

Yes they stop laying when they think there are enough eggs. My Runner sat when she had 8

Hope this helps. I'm heading out to lock up my chickens and ducks. Any questions I'll answer when I get back

stony's right, they stop laying when they go broody. Does she sit on the eggs constantly, or just some of the time? Is she getting up to eat and drink?

It's normal for them to lose some weight when broody, but runners have so little body fat that it really shouldn't be too obvious. I'd be concerned if she's noticeably dropping weight.

If she's not ever getting up off the nest, try offering her a food dish right next to the nest. Be sure to also give her water to dip her bill in that is also right next to her--she can choke to death if you don't, and at best it's very uncomfortable for ducks to eat without drinking.

Hope that helps, and I hope she puts some weight back on, or at least stops losing. And good luck with the babies if she's able to bring them to hatch! :)

here is what you have to look forward to

I know I was shocked how often our Runner got off the nest during the day. I guess I'm used to broody chickens. Miss Penelope was up many times a day to bathe, eat, drink etc and still hatched 6 of 8 eggs. The 7th tried but didn't hatch. So she did well. Good luck!

She's sitting on them constantly, I haven't really seen her off of them but I only go down to check on them 2-3 times a day, so maybe she's eating while I'm gone. Thank you for commenting!!!!!

She's sitting on them constantly, I haven't really seen her off of them but I only go down to check on them 2-3 times a day, so maybe she's eating while I'm gone. Thank you for commenting!!!!!
they never stay off the nest for long. Unless you are right there it is really easy to miss. You are welcome!

She does need to get off of the nest to eat, drink and poop. She will likely only get off of it 1-2 times a day for 5-20 minutes. When I had runners, I had to physically remove my hen from the nest to eat, drink and poop. She shouldn't lose so much weight that it is noticable by just looking. Its a small breed so they don't have much to lose.

To ensure she is eating, put some food out where only she can get it, if you have to close her in so you can see if she is eating.

Ducks do need to be acclimated to cold weather but if you have had them for 8 months and they've been outside they will be fine.

I also need to know if I should keep a heat lamp on at all times for them in the winter, because when my friend had ducks and they were laying on them they would keep heaters and heat lamps, etc on them to keep them warm

I also need to know if I should keep a heat lamp on at all times for them in the winter, because when my friend had ducks and they were laying on them they would keep heaters and heat lamps, etc on them to keep them warm
no heat lamps or heat are not only not needed but a bad idea. Mama will take care of the warmth. And if the power goes out, and everyone is used to the heat...it can only lead to problems

Last edited:
I have a heat lamp for my duck and her ducklings. They hatched on 12/5 and it has dipped into the 20's overnight here. She has 12 and there is no way that she would be able to keep all of them warm enough to survive that cold. The heat lamp only keeps the brooder about 20 degrees warmer than the outside temp so mom has to keep them warm above that. The ducklings are able to spread out when it is warmer during the day but they huddle up and mom covers them (somewhat) when its colder. I have the heat lamp directed toward the food and water so that they will still eat and drink when its cold but can stay together or with mom at other times.

I have not reared ducklings outside in these temps before but I feel more comfortable doing it this way.

Back
Top Bottom