help. aggresive, mean, hissing, biting, PHEASANT CHICK!

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ticks, Jun 12, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    My Pheasant are 3 weeks and a little bit. Today when I went to change the water one of the chicks was hissing, I thought he was just pooping. Then he did it again. when I went to see what was wrong he bit my thumb! not a peck, a bite! He is the only one doing stuff like that. He has also been defending his territory near the feeder. He is the biggest one with the longest tail so I am thinking he is a rooster. I don't know what to do with him! all I know is he is going to be one pheasant I am sure to release. It is perfect temperature, they are not totally overcrowded but I am getting a washer/dryer box to add on tonight. I am now afraid to put my hand in the brooder to get the food and water. Oh that is another thing, when I go to change the food he gets puffed up like he is mad at something or someone (me). please help!

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    forgot to add....he is not cannabalistic.

3. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    If that happened to me I would immediately tap him on the beak with my finger the way his mom would chastise him.

4. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    My pheasants just aren't friendly.... They see me coming(they are 2 weeks old) and they run every which way, run into the wall, pile on one another....

I was hoping mine would be more friendly....

5. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Are any pheasants friendly? Being from the state of South Dakota-Ring neck pheasant is our state bird, and when hunting season comes around, oh boy! I guess I just can't imagine them acting domesticated, like a chicken may act.

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    [​IMG] they are very timid. but I don't see why he is mean.

7. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

He wants to be the boss...Once they are fully grown they will learn to settle down a bit after awhile. Mine dont run from me anymore, but the they used to, till they relized im not going to hurt them..Plus they like the treats i bring them in addition to there regualr feed..

i have a few hens that will let me touch them..The males if i want to hold one or even touch them, i gotta use a net to catch them or grab them by there tails. the females are not as fast and i can catch them fairly easy..

Of course they will never be like a chicken as they have lots of wild blood in them...Bobwhites are the same way..

Charlie

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    thanks Charlie! I hope they tame down soon or that badboy is heading towards the stew pot! [​IMG]

9. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Mmmmm. Pheasant is good!

DeAnna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by