Help! Aggressive Rooster

How would I be treating them like I'm part of the flock?

At this point, that's not really important. The aggressive rooster has decided in its own mind that you are a subordinate, so you have to become top roo in his eyes. For whatever reason, that's just how it is. I've had roosters challenge me, but I know how to deal with them, and you were correct in your first post that it is best to nip it in the bud. Either change the pecking order, or get rid of the rooster. Those are the options if you want to improve the situation in your favor.

Another example of when a rooster can become aggressive is when he views someone as a predator or a threat. However, since you feed and tend to your flock, I doubt the aggressive rooster views you that way. To him, you're his subordinate.

My neighbor raises turkeys, and a few years ago, they had a VERY aggressive turkey that I dubbed their watch turkey. Any person or animal (even dogs!) who entered my neighbor's property was confronted by that turkey and was either chased and/or flogged. That turkey viewed most people and animals as potential threats, and if the watch turkey got his bluff in, it was GAME OVER!

One day I was with my son in the front of our property, and the watch turkey was in attack mode and came charging across our property at my young son. I quickly told my son not to panic, to stand his ground, and to raise out his hands from his sides. My son did so, and that turkey ran right up to my son and stopped. It stood by him for a couple of minutes, and then it strutted back to its own property. That turkey became my son's friend that day, and it would often visit us. Anyway, the same technique usually works very well in dealing with geese if they start hissing and threatening attack.

Back
Top Bottom