HELP! Air sacs very small!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by chickensval, Jul 31, 2014.

1. chickensval

chickensval Chirping

Jun 12, 2013
    Mobile, Alabama
    So i have 14 duck eggs in the incubator. Its day 3 right now. I have the temp at 95.9°f. Not sure about humidity. I have water pans filled and also a small cup of water- (everyone said ducks need extra humidity.) Its a little giant still air incubator.Ive candled two daus in a row (yesteray and today) and the air sacs have gotten VERY small. its like they arenteven there... some of them are oddly shaped. Please tell me how i can fix this. I will post pictures as soon as i can.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    I have the same incubator and one of my chicks had a air sack that was a little bit smaller than a quarter instead of one the size of a little bit smaller than a dollar coin but any way it did just fine here's a pic of it today[​IMG]

3. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    Also you probably need to raise your temp to 99.5 degrees

4. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    Still air incubator-99.5 -101 degrees
    Circulated air incubator-99.5 degrees

5. At day 3 it's not a huge concern, but you should still monitor it's progress and it should start growing...

To be blunt, to change the air cell size change the humidity, it's that simple... If it's too small lower the humidity, if it's too big increase the humidity...

6. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    And low temp may be why your air sacks are small mine i guess was just a weird egg but looking that you said that your temp was 95.5 and that's not good at all raise the temp I hope I helped :):):):):)

7. chickensval

chickensval Chirping

Jun 12, 2013
    Mobile, Alabama
    Okay thank you! But my air sacs are like the size of a dime... I raised the temp and lowered himidity. Will candle them tomorrow.. I dont want to let them chill from being out of the incubator.

8. Mommy birds leave the nest to get food and water as well as poop, a short cool of period is nothing to worry about it's natural..

9. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    Umm in my incubator I fill all the trays with water and a rag of water on lockdown I wouldn't of lowered humidity it might be low

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: