Help alfalfa chocking??

Shelll66

Hatching
Mar 20, 2022
I left for the day and told my boyfriend exactly what to feed my babies. I baby ducks, chicks , and one Guinea hen. He decided to give the fresh alfa.long strains. The Guinea had about a inch hanging out of her mouth, one duck and a road island. I wasn’t sure what to do but got a lot out of the Guinea and cut it so she could possibly swollow it. She’s doing ok. Very tired. Was that the right thing to do? And should I do it with the duck and Road island?

I would have pulled the grass out, but seems like that ship has sailed.
I would supply them with chick grit. That will help them break down the grass and digest it. Also make sure the crop is emptying overnight. To do that, feel the crop during the day/after eating to see what it normally feels like. Then right before bed, take away any food or water. First thing in the morning feel the crop. It should be flat and empty, not big and squishy like during the day and after eating.
If it is not emptying, that could be an issue.

I would have pulled the grass out, but seems like that ship has sailed.
I would supply them with chick grit. That will help them break down the grass and digest it. Also make sure the crop is emptying overnight. To do that, feel the crop during the day/after eating to see what it normally feels like. Then right before bed, take away any food or water. First thing in the morning feel the crop. It should be flat and empty, not big and squishy like during the day and after eating.
If it is not emptying, that could be an issue.
Thank you. Baby Guinea is separated but seems to be ok, just tired. She did poop on me multiple times while we were taking it out. I thought a few times she was going to pass out cause she couldn’t breath . This is my first
Guinea. And my first ducks. I started raising chickens less then a yest
Ago. And it came to me by accident. I don’t know why, but have
Always wanted chickens but my ex-husband said no. Then the boyfriend said no….I have a small 5 acre ranch down a long dirt road where no one goes and I just had a chicken she up. I had Just built a new setting area and
She took it over. Two weeks later o thought I saw another chicken in the
Back of my shop while I was on the phone, did a double take and didn’t see it. I left for vacation the next day and when I got Back the hen had been hanging out and decided to lay. I now have over 38 chickens I absolutely love them. I actually have had to incubate because. Hen #2 abandoned eggs. I’m a real chicken mommy…

I pulled 3inches out and it started looking like it was twisted around her young and somewhat digested. So I cut it and she seemed to have swallowed the rest. I have her separate from the
Other babies with me and she seems to be comfortable.

I pulled 3inches out and it started looking like it was twisted around her young and somewhat digested. So I cut it and she seemed to have swallowed the rest. I have her separate from the
Other babies with me and she seems to be comfortable.
Good! That should help her a lot. Now that she doesn't have such a long string to digest. Definitely offer some grit, that will help her a lot too. :)

Back
Top Bottom