Help! All my pullets have coccidiosis

Hennegan

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2023
Hey everyone!

Our pullets are 10 weeks now and they all have coccidiosis. We just lost one two weeks ago to it. We have amprolium in the water and 4/5 of them are acting normal and have no physical signs of it minus occasional yellow diarrhea (not all their poops are like this, just a few times a day) but one of them keeps getting worse. We isolated and rehydrated her using a syringe (and the medicated water) and she seemed to be better after a few days but every so often when I go to check in on them she’s either acting like she’s fine or all puffed up and hunched over. She’s the only one that has normal poops and no diarrhea, but also is the only one displaying physical signs of distress/pain. We really don’t know what to do beyond what we already are doing.. so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
That is a bit old to have coccidiosis. Was it confirmed by a fecal float on the droppings, or with a necropsy on the one who died? Usually coccidiosis is seen in chicks between 3-9 weeks old, or in immune compromised or sick chickens. Have they been exposed to soil since they were young? How much amprollium are you using? Is it Corid or another brand?

That is a bit old to have coccidiosis. Was it confirmed by a fecal float on the droppings, or with a necropsy on the one who died? Usually coccidiosis is seen in chicks between 3-9 weeks old, or in immune compromised or sick chickens. Have they been exposed to soil since they were young? How much amprollium are you using? Is it Corid or another brand?
Oh wow, I meant to put 10 weeks not 10 months, my mistake! We had them on 2.5ml per litre of water for the first 5 days then reduced it to .625ml per litre (as per the instructions on the bottle). It’s a different brand than corid I believe, we got it from our vet and the bottle just says amproil.

Okay, then it probably is a different strength than 9.6% amprollium. With that one we usually recommend 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water or 1/2 tsp per quart, given for 5-7 days. You can also give a drop or two of the undiluted, to an especially sick bird once a day. Hopefully, your pullet will perk up soon. Once the amprollium is finished you could start some probiotics or plain Greek yogurt and some vitamins for a week.

Okay, then it probably is a different strength than 9.6% amprollium. With that one we usually recommend 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water or 1/2 tsp per quart, given for 5-7 days. You can also give a drop or two of the undiluted, to an especially sick bird once a day. Hopefully, your pullet will perk up soon. Once the amprollium is finished you could start some probiotics or plain Greek yogurt and some vitamins for a week.
Thank you so much for the help! We are going to try that 😊

Back
Top Bottom