Help! Americana fading fast

anna p

Chirping
Apr 21, 2019
My 1 year old americana dropped her tail and started acting lethargic two days ago. She had ooze that resembled egg white dripping from her vent. I gave her two Epsom salt baths and have been regularly flushing out her vent with a baby aspirator. She has pooped some watery little poops that are harder than usual. Her abdomen does not feel swollen and I don't feel any egg in her. Yesterday afternoon, her vent cleared up, no more ooze, and this morning again her vent looks great. No odors at all. She pooped those same watery harder poops overnight. She was active and okay this morning, although not eating much, and now she is doing the slump where she closes her eyes and lets her head drop. I know she escaped by squeezing under the fence and spent the night out of the run when we had a pet sitter five days ago. I noticed some of the feathers on her wing had been pulled off, but I am not sure if that is relevant at all. Any ideas? Would so appreciate some advice!

My 1 year old americana dropped her tail and started acting lethargic two days ago. She had ooze that resembled egg white dripping from her vent. I gave her two Epsom salt baths and have been regularly flushing out her vent with a baby aspirator. She has pooped some watery little poops that are harder than usual. Her abdomen does not feel swollen and I don't feel any egg in her. Yesterday afternoon, her vent cleared up, no more ooze, and this morning again her vent looks great. No odors at all. She pooped those same watery harder poops overnight. She was active and okay this morning, although not eating much, and now she is doing the slump where she closes her eyes and lets her head drop. I know she escaped by squeezing under the fence and spent the night out of the run when we had a pet sitter five days ago. I noticed some of the feathers on her wing had been pulled off, but I am not sure if that is relevant at all. Any ideas? Would so appreciate some advice!
She may be having some reproductive issues.

Since she had what looked like albumen leaking from the vent then she may have had a membrane collapse. Possibly laying internally or having difficulty passing a soft shelled egg now.
I would give extra calcium (1Caltrate with D3) once a day for 3-5 days. Also consider giving an oral antibiotic like Amoxicillin since to help fight infection from leaking albumen and the flushing of the vent.
It's best not to flush the vent since you can push bacteria and/or whatever material the hen is trying to expel back into the oviduct.

I would see that she's staying hydrated and eating. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. She is doing so much better. Her energy is back and she is eating and drinking again. She has stopped doing the death slump entirely (hallelujah!). But she is still pooping tiny little poops and hasn't laid an egg in a while now. Should I expect her to lay an egg any time soon and if she does, is that a good indication that she is in the clear? I thought we were going to lose her - thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom