Help!! Angry Neighbour Noisy Birds.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GuineaFowling, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Hello,

I have 2 guineas, a male and a female, and i also have a problem. For five years (going on to six) my neighbour didn't have a problem with my birds and now she does. Naturally guineas fly and are noisy but every time they do take flight i always retrieve them. The birds do go into the neighbours yard sometimes since they do not find my own yard that appealing after living in it for 5 years. but as i had stated before i retrieve them. She now is angry that they go into her yard and are too noisy. How do i prevent them from going into the yard? I believe she is angry because my guinea hen went broody for a month and everything was quiet and she got used to the silence. I will be clipping their wings unfortunately and also trying to keep there noise down. I love my birds and don't want to get rid of them and they are extremely attached to my home. They have a very terrible case of separation anxiety disorder. I also have one of there babies in the brood and he will be soon joining his parents in the yard. How do I keep the birds quiet? I feed them lots of treats throughout the day to make sure they are happy. They have food and water at all times as well as some hens to chase when they are bored.

Thank you for your time,

—GuineaFowling

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Clipping their wings and a fence is the only thing I can think to do. As far as the noise goes as long as city ordinances allow you to have them I wouldn't worry about it.

3. creepygothnursi

creepygothnursi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    You need to focus the most on keeping them out of her yard. As long as your city allows you to have them, she can't really do very much about the noise, but it's not good for any pets to be running on other people's property. It can make a mess for the property owner, and might even lead to the animal being harmed or killed by an angry property owner. If you free range them, you may not be able to do that any more. Definitely start with building a fence and clipping their wings (the fence will have to be pretty high- I know my chickens can get over at least six feet!) but if that doesn't work you may have to go to a run with netting covering it to keep them from flying out.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you're legal, she can't really do anything about the noise. You, however, need to step up and keep your birds on your own property. It's not near enough that you go get them, you need to contain them so they don't go there at all. I know I'd be having guinea for dinner if I were your neighbor and it were an ongoing issue. Wing clipping, a run, fences, whatever you need to do. Allowing your animals to consistently be on your neighbor's property is very irresponsible.

2 people like this.
  5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Guineas are very noisy birds, many people in the country use them as a watch dog, because them make so much noise. I may not be popular, but depending on how close your neighbor is, I would consider letting the quineas go to someone else, and getting a quieter flock of birds. Noise can really bother people, and one's home should be a haven, where someone can return and rest.

Your birds would adjust quite quickly to another home within a very few days. Birds do not have separation anxiety disorder. They don't have that large of brain.

Mrs K

3 people like this.
  6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Thread is closed at the request of the OP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by