Help !! Ants in the coop

fedexDan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
How can I get rid of fire ants in my chicken coop ! They are eating all the food that the chickens spill:(

somad.gif
doggone fire ants!! We live out in the great Dismal Swamp and have lots of fresh hills ALL the time! U can try boiling water usually works great or poison their mound... whih unless its IN the coop i guarantee is UNDER the coop. Just be CERTAIN to use as directed and cover the poisoned mound with cinder blocks and wood etc to keep the chickens and other animals from eating it. The stuff looks EXACTLY like the crumbles we feed them... the biggest issue is chickens are way smart and wont mess with them as they'll get attacked- they will eat other ants though lol.. Hope this helps good luck!
fl.gif

I use that stinky Acephate power. It doesn't resemble crumbles, and it's white, not yellow, so my chickens don't bother it. It is sold under a number of names, but the main ingredient is always Acephate. The strongest concentration I've found comes in a green can and is sold primarily through feed stores.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

You may want to try some Food Grade Codex (DE). I have read about several people on the BYC site that uses it. I just bought a 50 lb bag, so I am hoping it works. I also put it on my vegetables to keep the ants out of them. You can even use Codex yourself, works for lots of stuff like hair, nails, skin, digestive tract, etc. etc. It also worms your chickens, and keeps mites and lice off.

Cammy

Back
Top Bottom