Help! Are all the eggs duds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SophiaChick, Mar 22, 2016.

1. SophiaChick

SophiaChick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2016
    I have a Cochin hen how has been brooding her eggs. I counted out 21 days since she "disappeared" and it has been 2 days past the 21 day mark. I candled a few and some seemed really dark with the air pocket... I dont know if they are alive or dead or if i miss counted the days. I honestly dont know what Im looking for when I candle an egg even tho I have googled it to the end of the universe and back. Im so scared I'm going to murder the babies inside when I handle them and take them away from the warm mommy.

Should I let her brood for a little longer? If so how much longer? Should I just go buy some chicks if they dont hatch for her so she will stop?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Wait another week. Cochins make great broodys. "...really dark with the air pocket..." probably means chicks are on the way. Good luck.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees, wait another week.
    I assume there's a rooster around?

Disappeared? Is she in a safe place?

4. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    If you have a smart phone, get the app Bellsouth Hatchabatch. It helps me keep track of my incubations.

And I agree, give it a little more time.

5. SophiaChick

Jan 22, 2016
    Yes the rooster is around, we have put him in another pen after she went broody,( he was getting really aggressive towards my kids.). She is in a safe place she went in a smaller coop inside the bigger coop... if that makes sense. I go in there and check on her every day.

I am thinking about candling the eggs tonight to see what is going on. I'm just scared of hurting the eggs while handling them. Any advice on how to handle them with out hurting them would be great! I have a mini mag light with rubber around the top that I use.

I will wait one more week and if nothing happens, I think I may go to the local tractor supply and buy a few babies and give them to her and take away the eggs so she wont brood herself to death. Do you think that may help her?

6. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  7. SophiaChick

Jan 22, 2016
    Thanks all for the help! I candled them last night anf they all look alive as far as i can tell. Today when we checked we have 2 baby chicks that have hatched!

1 person likes this.
  8. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    yay!!!
    [​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Great!! Just wait until mama comes off the nest to feed the chicks, then remove any eggs left.

10. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by