Help! are these pullets?

No the barred coloured is definitely 8 months as I hatched it in June 2012
I have an 8 month old speckled sussex who isn't laying yet - just decided it was too darn cold and wet no doubt and who can blame her! lol! I'm sure yours will get going too as spring arrives. I also have an 8 month old buff orp who has only been laying a week - so no worries, it'll happen. Is the barred hen a plymouth rock?

Yep...2 lazy not laying pullets...I had a buff orpington wait almost 9 months to start laying...but she lays some big nice eggs.

Just hang in there. It will happen. Do some chickens skip laying pullet eggs totally and start with big eggs? Because if not this new laying girl is going to explode...I mean she is a big chicken, but the eggs are huge...

this is her third egg ever...Pretty snazzy. makes it worth all the waiting.

both pullets...

9 Things to Investigate if Your Hens Aren’t Laying Well
Posted on March 15, 2011 by Guest Author
Here is a list of things that affect how well your hens lay eggs, along with suggestions for what you can do to ensure that they lay their best.
1. Lighting
Now that Spring is approaching, and the days are getting longer, the hens in my home flock have started laying again. During the early part of the winter, they were laying fewer eggs because there were fewer daylight hours.
Hens need 14 or more hours of daylight each day to lay well. During late fall and winter, particularly from October through February, they won’t receive that many hours of daylight naturally. You have a choice, you can either let them take a break from laying or provide additional lighting.
2. Stress
Stress can cause your hens to stop laying. What causes them to have stress? Allowing them to get frightened or handled to much, letting them run out of food or water, moving them to a different pen or coop, or disrupting their pecking order can all cause stress.
3. Feed
Laying hens need a balanced diet to lay well. Good quality layer feeds have the correct balance of protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, calcium and other minerals. If you feed table scraps or scratch grains to your hens, you should use moderation so as not to upset the balance.
4. Water
Chickens should always have access to clean water. In the winter, take precautions tomake sure their water doesn’t freeze.
5. Diseases or Parasites
Diseases or parasites can slow or stop laying. The Chicken Health Handbook (Damerow) is a good source of information on this topic.
6. Temperature
Hens lay best when it’s not too cold or too hot. If possible, keep the temperature in their coop above 55° F in the winter. During the summer, provide plenty of shade and cool water.
7. Molting
Chickens will molt about once a year and usually slow or stop laying eggs during that time. The molt will last from two to six months.
8. Age
As your hens get older, they will lay less frequently. Usually, they lay best during their first and second year, then as they approach three years old, their laying will decrease. By the time they’re about five years old, they’ll only be laying about half as frequently as they did at their peak. Raising a new flock every few years is the best way to have an ongoing supply of home grown eggs.
9. Predators
Predators such as skunks and snakes will eat eggs. Prevent this by gathering the eggs more frequently, and improve pens and housing as needed to keep the predators out.

[URL='http://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/2011/03/15/9-things-that-affect-how-well-hens-lay/']http://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/2011/03/15/9-things-that-affect-how-well-hens-lay/[/URL]

Back
Top Bottom