HELP ASAP!? best position for hatching eggs?!!

latisha34484

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Fernandina Beach, FL
I'm a new hatcher!! help, its day 20 and have nice incubator we built! great with fan,moisture, temp thermostat regulated and hand turned. eggs are in cardboard holders with point down...is it better to place them loose on sides to roll or pip, peep ? or leave them in holders?? help please?!! TY!

on their sides is best, but some people do put them point down. Either way work but if you think about it, a hen always has them on their sides, and a hen's hatch rate is 95-100%
thumbsup.gif
good luck

oh and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
congrats!!!!!!!!
ya.gif
I know how nerve wracking it is and how exciting too!
woot.gif

I agree, put them on their side. I always put mine on their side. My hatch doing this has been 95 - 100%!!!

and DON'T OPEN THE BATOR!!!!!!!!
old.gif
once they starting pipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just sit on your hands
caf.gif
and wait for the fun and magic to begin!!!!
love.gif

Both ways work. It really does not matter. I have a personal preference to lay them flat, but that is just a personal preference. The carton method works fine too.

If you use a carton, cut out the bottom of the individual egg pocket so you can get good air circulation around the egg. But truly, don't freak about it either way.

Place them on their sides and then just WALK AWAY!
smile.png
I made the mistake of checking on them too much and shrink wrapped like 12 of them and then I had to help 2 out after i realized what I'd done. 1 ended up dying with in 12hrs. Good luck and so excited for you:)

X3 I agree, Mine are in turners at first but during lockdown I put them on there side. I normally line them up, BUT not too close together. Just because I like to see them get out of order when they start to wiggle around in the eggs to position themselves for hatching. Some don't wiggle the egg, some do. I just love it!

Quote:

Quote:
The only time I had a broody hen, her hatch rate was below 40%. With the same batch of eggs (all from my own birds) I managed to get a 100% hatch rate. Not that I'm saying hens are rubbish at hatching, just that they're not always better than people. Anyhoo, my own personal preference is for putting the eggs point down in cutaway cardboard cartons, but that's just me. I don't think one way is any better than the other. I just like the reduced mess and knowing which egg is which cause they don't get knocked about the bator by the other chicks while hatching.

Back
Top Bottom