Help ASAP Please, what tools, materials do you use for run? :)

dawnjoennikki98

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
New Jersey
Hi everyone. I know this is crazy, but I'm a single mom who has 3 days off now, to build a run by myself for my 8 ducks! I've been reading the boards for ideas etc.. for a while now, but still need some help. I want to make a basic, wood and hardware cloth run, not sure what's best for the ground , what size wood to use for framing and posts, and what tools I'll need. I'd appreciate any advice!!! Thanks!!
So, right now I have an 8 x 10 Shed that they stay in at night. I stapled a cheap sheet of linoleum over the wood floor, and pine shavings/chips covering the floor.

During part of the day right now, they are in a cheap pre made run, that is not very safe, or predator proof. I'm trying to plan a large run that i'll attach to the shed.
i'd need to make a pop door too. My main confusion is what to do on the ground in the run.
I'm thinking wood framing and hardware cloth for the walls of the run. , part hardware cloth /part plastic or tin for the roof of the run. unfortunately there is not much sun at all in this area, but i can't move the shed to a sunnier part of the yard. Right now the ground is covered with ivy. I plan to clear that, (what's the best way?) and use something like pea gravel, and sand? I also want to put in a pond in the run, but that will be the next project.... This is for 8 large ducks, lol, and still growing. How big should i make it? ANY advice at all would be greatly appreciated!!! :) thanks! (pics of duckies and shed to come soon!!)

Dawn

dawnjoennikki98

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
New Jersey
OH, and they do free range whenever i can be outside with them, and i have two baby pools, that they've quickly grown out of, but still play in!

midget_farms

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Dunlap Illinois
Good questions - You don't really need to do anything with the ground if you don't want to - but if you do - pull the ivy by hand & you can use any number of things to cover the ground. Sand, wood chips etc.

If it were me - unless there was a lot of mud to deal with I would leave it alone.

You have the right idea for the run - build as big as you can - & how sturdy depends on the predators you have in your area. Some places have to deal with mink & other small critters that can find a way in through crazy small spaces. Where I am its coons & hawks I need to worry about so my fence can have lots of gaps.

go slow & measure everything - you will need a saw, hammer or screw driver, staple gun maybe for the hardware cloth or chicken wire. Maybe a shovel if you plan to set posts in the ground.

That should be about all you need.

LynneP

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Centre Rawdon, Nova Scotia, Canada
Ours is designed for predator elimination because we are in a zone near the woods. We also have heavy snow and high winds. You can see how we used construction materials in the links below- enjoy! It's quite an experience...
cool.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-our-second-coop

Last edited:

Top Bottom