HELP ASAP!!!

cpnhnzmommy

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Virginia
This may be an extremely crazy question but here goes: I have a hen that laid her first egg today after being broody for around 5 days a week ago. Sadly, also a week ago we lost all of our flock except my momma hen that laid the egg this morning. Momma hen constantly mated with my silkie rooster who was lost in the attack. My question is is there any chance this egg she laid this morning is still fertile? Or does her being broody when my rooster died pretty much kill the chances? She was broody when we lost him but they mated everyday up until she went broody and even after she was broody when she would come down to eat and drink they would also mate. They had quite a liking for each other. I just wanna know if a hen is only broody for less than a week and has mated before that time period will she still be fertile when she lays her next egg. I really am hoping to get a little offspring from my rooster that passed seeing as he was one of my favorites. Thank you all so much in advance and so sorry if i am extremely confusing.

If it was 7 days ago they last mated then it is possible this egg is fertile believe but don't quote me up to 2 weeks they can hold sperm.

So sorry for your loss.

i did read somewhere that sperm is viable for two weeks after a mating so go from the last known mating and save eggs for 2 weeks from that time period. wont hurt to try.

I had a hen who was fertile 2 weeks after being separated from my rooster. I would try to hatch the egg, and any others she lays after that one.
smile.png

I'm very sorry for your loss.
sad.png

Thank y'all! So much! Guess I'll pop it in the incubator and see what we get in 21 day! So excited! Fingers crossed for a peep or 2! :)

Back
Top Bottom