Help, At what age can I move chicks to coop with hens and rooster?

Daisy96

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 22, 2010
I think the oldest chicks are about 10 weeks. We got two free ones that we had to keep separate for a while, I'm guessing they are about 8 weeks. They are all living happily together now in the brooder. In the coop I have one rooster, and 12 hens, one of which is sitting on her eggs and the first one hatched yesterday.

Not sure if should just leave everybody where they are and let the mama come off the nest with her baby's when they are hatched and ready and join the others or get her and babies out of there( not sure how to do that without gettint hurt either) lol. I was thinking of moving the 8 and 10 weeks on chicks into coop and taking the momma hen and babies and putting them in the brooder, where the older chicks are now.

Also thought about trying to get my husband to sections of a part of coop for mama and her chicks, but we have several problems with that idea.
1. I am due anytime myself and could have to leave for hospital before hubby even gets home, then we would be gone for a couple of days and everybody will have to stay where they are.
2. He gets home so late that its hard for him to have time to get it done in one evening.
3. The wire we have is 2 inch to big the baby's would go through into coop anyway.
4. If I leave them they will also go out the coop it is 2 inch wholes also. ( Hmm guess I just answered one of my own questions right there.)

I do have a small cage I could put the bigger chicks in and sit it in the coop to get them use to the big chickens but I wouldn't want to leave them in there for long cause its not very big. Maybe for a little while each day.

Possibly could put the mama and baby's in cage but I still don't think it enough room.

I think the best option would be intergrate the big chicks using the cage get them moved asap.
Then move mama and chicks to brooder. If I do that, I should wait until all the chicks hatch right? How do I go about that without getting hurt, lol?

74352_102_0556.jpg
Here are the 8 & 10 week old chicks. They could be a little older.

Hello!

Sounds like you've kind of worked things out....Good idea to put the younger ones inside a cage in the coop, because the bigger/older onces can definitely hurt them.

As far as moving the broody goes, you could do this at night--chickens are always calmer after dark.

Good luck with your new baby!

Sharon

Should I wait until all the eggs hatch befor I try to move them. If I'm not already at the hospital by then.

Back
Top Bottom