1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, australorp limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MM09, Aug 25, 2014.

1. MM09

MM09 New Egg

Aug 25, 2014
    Denver, Co
    I've read many threads and still are unsure of why my Australorp is all of a sudden sitting and not using her left foot. I've inspected it, isn't swollen or bitten and she is eating and drinking.. Please help

-Concerned owner

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Even a vet may not be certain. But if she is an adult, she is a pretty heavy bird, and they can injure themselves umping off things rather easily. She could also have some sort of arthritis or other joint problem, and of course there is always tumor. But the most likely thing is some sort of temporary sprain or strain type injury which will hopefully respond to rest. I would try keeping her quiet for a few days, or even a few weeks. This may mean separating her and putting her in a somewhat darkened place. Don't let her jump down from a roost. If your roosts are high, say over 2', she may need a lower place to sleep, or even a spot at ground level, at least for now. Certainly a good number of these do resolve themselves, and we never know what was wrong.

I would also check her a couple more times over the next few days for swelliing and warmth, which means inflammation, possibly infection. Sometimes they symptom is not so apparent at first.

Here's hoping you never find anything, and it just goes away!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You didn't mention how old she is. Chicks and young chickens can suffer from vitamin deficiencies that may cause sitting on hock or elbows, and curling under of toes. Bone deformities in young chickens may also cause tendon problems or twisting of long bones with aging, making it hard to walk. Check for bumblefoot by looking for a dark spot on the foot pad, usually accompanied by swelling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by