HELP baby bunnies with dyeing mom

been trying to get the babies fed but things are not going well. tried both of the does nursing the babies and none of them got even a remotely decent meal, tried force nursing BOTH the does on the litter and they together were producing very little for them that only 3 got an adequate meal. they are getting very weak and you can see ribs protruding. haven't put the mom down yet as she is producing some milk and if the babies have any hope they will need it. i tried leaving them alone with the foster mom but not only is most of her milk gone to her older babies but the young ones are not working well with her and they end up scattered if i leave them alone together. she will not feed them of her own will. i am getting desperate now, what are the options for milk replacers? tried getting raw goats milk but it is illegal's to buy trade give or even transport raw goats milk here. trying to get pasteurized but IDK.
some of the babies are getting to weak to nurse well :'(
Goats milk wouldn't help. It is not nutrient dense enough. Same problem with cow milk. You might get some KMR which is a milk replacer for kittens. Ought to be able to find it at any pet store. Until you get it, you can feed evaporated milk diluted 1 part water and five or six parts evap. That works for puppies. I used the same formula for kittens but for kittens I added an egg yolk. KMR until you can get the rabbit formula would be your best bet.

Goats milk wouldn't help. It is not nutrient dense enough. Same problem with cow milk. You might get some KMR which is a milk replacer for kittens. Ought to be able to find it at any pet store. Until you get it, you can feed evaporated milk diluted 1 part water and five or six parts evap. That works for puppies. I used the same formula for kittens but for kittens I added an egg yolk. KMR until you can get the rabbit formula would be your best bet.
i have KMR but i just keep hearing all sorts of things that contradict one another so IDK. right now though i dont need it as momma is doing better and there is only one baby left.

I am new to rabbits but I found a recipe that had goat milk heavy whipping cream and kitten milk replacer.
Hope that helps:)

had to put the last one down, had diareah last night and was to weak to suckle. so i guess that is it for this litter. mom is doing much better now though, drinking on her own and eating veggies (still not pellets) and is acting completely normal.

had to put the last one down, had diareah last night and was to weak to suckle. so i guess that is it for this litter. mom is doing much better now though, drinking on her own and eating veggies (still not pellets) and is acting completely normal.
Glad to hear the mother is doing better :)

Sad about the bunnies, though :(

yeah, i think i am going to put the first mom down, the other doe is doing great at fostering, i just cant bring the box to her or her babies will play in the nest, i have tried moving her to a dark quiet room and she will happily nurse them there. hopefully it will all work out.
Good to hear about foster mom, I would beef up her feed a little since she is going to be nursing longer? But humans foster with no problem and keeps those darn 3week old(toddler) bunnies away! Lol

Back
Top Bottom